1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PhP 5.4

Discussion in 'General PHP and MySQL Discussions' started by Adam Howard, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

So anyone here yet play with Php 5.4?

Been playing with Rc8 / RC9 and this one really seems to load things evenly and smoothly.

(On test site only. Do not advise using on public site)

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

ya, have PHP 5.4 on one of my R&D servers. Was messing around with Traits last night.

3. Adam Howard

Diffidently an improvement in my opinion. Although I would imagine some of those who manage shared hosting, will need to take into account some of the changes in features. Will be some time before I suspect I'll see this imputed in that kind of hosting environment.

But diffidently an improvement for those of us who use vps / dedicated.

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Has anyone run XenForo on PHP 5.4? Any blatant issues or any incompatibilities?

5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I tested an RC for a bit without any noticeable issue.

Lucas, Marcus and digitalpoint like this.
  6. latimer

latimer Active Member

One issue I've had is that FPM under 5.4 doesn't seem to play nice with APC, but other than that, no problems.

7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

I suspect it doesn't work with *any* opcode cacher yet. They always put out updates after a major PHP version.

8. Adam Howard

PHP 5.4 has officially been released :D

9. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

You want to be the first one to upgrade it and tell us how it works with Xenforo?

10. Adam Howard

As soon as Dotdeb.org has it working.... YES. ;)

Jarod likes this.
  11. Jarod

Jarod Active Member

12. Adam Howard

13. James

James Well-Known Member

Looks nice, the traits work well for reusing code.

I wonder if XF will consider using traits in future, though their code is pretty reusable now.

14. James

James Well-Known Member

Has anyone managed to install php 5.4 on Windows with Apache?

15. Adam Howard

Before switching host I tried php 5.4 and it didn't go so well.

Kept getting some kind of Zend Framework error (don't recall the error at this time).

16. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

had same problem but just heads up latest trunk release of APC has fixed PHP 5.4 compatibility and I tested with nginx v1.1.18 and PHP-FPM 5.4.0 with APC 3.1.10 trunk release and it works but still other php extensions don't i.e. FFMPEG and Suhosin.

Haven't checked it Xcache works with PHP 5.4.0. I know Memcache php extension v2.2.5 trunk release has fixed PHP 5.4 compatibility but Memcache >v3.0.6+ don't see it yet.

Sticking with PHP 5.3.10 for now

17. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/php-5-4-bug.29835/
    Is fixable, did not had time to look into actual code so I edited the template instead.
    I'll let Mike fix that in 1.2.0 release. :)

If you know the fix, let me know.