Perspective API Integration by AddonsLab

Perspective API Integration by AddonsLab [Paid] 1.3.1

No permission to buy ($19.99)
This means, for example, if your database will be down, the license check will fail, and this may affect your license on provider's server as a result. This is not the case, however, with the real static file, the way we have implemented it. Feel free to confirm this with the author of the add-on.

If the database is down, XenForo itself and all the add-ons will be non-functional too. So there is no need for a valid license check. ;)

Our goal was to avoid any active callbacks where the customer's server contacts our server automatically to send some data. People don't like this. Our license check passively waits to be called by our server to confirm the license. If someone reports a site with an unknown license or we find an unknown site by Google which uses our product, we call the license check url. If we cannot reach it or the license is invalid, we will act appropriately. Very simple and unobtrusive. Of course we cannot check a license at an non-functional site, but we don't think this is necessary.

If the database is down, XenForo itself and all the add-ons will be non-functional too. So there is no need for a valid license check. ;)

Our goal was to avoid any active callbacks where the customer's server contacts our server automatically to send some data. People don't like this. Our license check passively waits to be called by our server to confirm the license. If someone reports a site with an unknown license or we find an unknown site by Google which uses our product, we call the license check url. If we cannot reach it or the license is invalid, we will act appropriately. Very simple and unobtrusive. Of course we cannot check a license at an non-functional site, but we don't think this is necessary.

Sure, I liked the approach you took and implemented it a similar way, just using static files, which, as you mentioned, does not matter much anyway. I have mentioned it as your users seem to have misunderstood how it works and refer to it in several cases.

Sure, I liked the approach you took and implemented it a similar way, just using static files, which, as you mentioned, does not matter much anyway. I have mentioned it as your users seem to have misunderstood how it works and refer to it in several cases.

As we have (and ever had) a clear and informative description of our license check process at our site, our customers know how we do it:
https://wmtech.net/threads/add-on-license-check-process-information.20/

AddonsLab updated Perspective API Integration by AddonsLab with a new update entry:

New permission: Use API Filter

Here is a minor update with a new permission implemented - Use API Filter. Only usergroups having this permission will see the slider to filter messages by toxicity/spam score.

We have also fixed a bug on mobile when unhiding the posts with a click.

The new version is available for all licensed customers at
https://customers.addonslab.com/marketplace.php/my-services/

Thank you!

Read the rest of this update entry...

I applied Friday and received an email for whitelisting now. I did however explain in detail that I am going to use it on my big board with hundreds of thousands of members and plenty of readers and why I wanted to use perspective. No minors allowed and therefore No members under 13 years of age (probably a GDPR concern)

Last edited:
@AddonsLab are there instructions on which API settings to use?
I don't see this addon in the demo admincp options.

Please check-out product options in the screenshot attached to product description - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/perspective-api-integration-by-addonslab.5557/#lg=1&slide=4 There is not much to configure actually, you just need the API key and decide which type of checks you want to enable (Toxicity, Spam etc.) and what should be the thresholds triggering moderation/error when posting content.

Just let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Please check-out product options in the screenshot attached to product description - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/perspective-api-integration-by-addonslab.5557/#lg=1&slide=4 There is not much to configure actually, you just need the API key and decide which type of checks you want to enable (Toxicity, Spam etc.) and what should be the thresholds triggering moderation/error when posting content.
I think you might have misunderstood my question. I was not asking about addon settings. Google has many API settings. Which config do we need?

I think you might have misunderstood my question. I was not asking about addon settings. Google has many API settings. Which config do we need?

I see. During development, we did not need to change any settings for this service on Google's side. It was quite some time ago we dealt with it so we will check it again when we get a chance, but in general, the product should work just fine without any customization of the service.

Thank you!

You have to choose between API versions and config. There is no default version.

I have created another project, enable the API and generated API Key without having to set any other configuration. I can't find where it asks to choose API version or any other config. Please provide a screenshot and I will check again.

Thank you!

AddonsLab updated Perspective API Integration by AddonsLab with a new update entry:

Bug: Auto Moderation link returns No Permission error

This is a bug-fix version fixing No Permission error when clicking the link "Auto Moderation".

The new version is available for all licensed customers at
https://customers.addonslab.com/marketplace.php/my-services/

Feel free to suggest further enhancements for the add-on or report any issues you have and they will be addressed asap.

Please consider posting a review if you are using the add-on and let us and other users know how it works for you.

Thank you!

Read the rest of this update entry...

We finally got our API key from Google and are busy evaluating this at the moment. It seems to work well and if there is an issue, it is with the limitations of the models provided from the Perspective team rather than the addon itself.

A few suggestions for potential improvements from my initial experiences (maybe for an XF2 version?):
  1. Increase the number of models available (ideally make this open to deal with future expansion) - Perspective currently lists 16 different models to choose from, but the addon only supports 3 of these and these are pre-selected. Some of the newer models would probably be more suited to our forums.
  2. The thread filter is a good idea and works well, but it would be nice to have a reverse version of that available to moderators so they could display only posts over a certain level to enable these to be quickly spotted for manual moderation.
  3. Consider allowing different levels in individual nodes/forums - we allow more profanity in some of our forums/subforums than we do in others and it would be nice to be able to control this rather than having one level across the whole site.
All in all a good add-on though. It would be nice to see further development on it.

We finally got our API key from Google and are busy evaluating this at the moment. It seems to work well and if there is an issue, it is with the limitations of the models provided from the Perspective team rather than the addon itself.

A few suggestions for potential improvements from my initial experiences (maybe for an XF2 version?):
  1. Increase the number of models available (ideally make this open to deal with future expansion) - Perspective currently lists 16 different models to choose from, but the addon only supports 3 of these and these are pre-selected. Some of the newer models would probably be more suited to our forums.
  2. The thread filter is a good idea and works well, but it would be nice to have a reverse version of that available to moderators so they could display only posts over a certain level to enable these to be quickly spotted for manual moderation.
  3. Consider allowing different levels in individual nodes/forums - we allow more profanity in some of our forums/subforums than we do in others and it would be nice to be able to control this rather than having one level across the whole site.
All in all a good add-on though. It would be nice to see further development on it.

Thank you for the reply. We will consider implementing the features as suggested. It will make the add-on more complicated and time-consuming to develop than initially considered, so we may decide to change the price for the add-on once all these features are implemented. Of course, it will not affect the owners of active licenses but only new purchases.

We will release the updates as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Been wanting to try this for over a year and still no api despite requesting it 3-4 times in that time.

I have created another project, enable the API and generated API Key without having to set any other configuration. I can't find where it asks to choose API version or any other config. Please provide a screenshot and I will check again.

Thank you!
These are the questions Google asks:
  1. Where will you be calling the API from? (browser JavaScript, web server, etc)
  2. What data will you be accessing? (user data, application)
  3. Are you planning to use this API with App Engine or Compute Engine?
  4. Select a role. (15 roles)
  5. Key type
I don't know if more information is needed after this. Please add a FAQ that explains the steps.

We will consider implementing the features as suggested. It will make the add-on more complicated and time-consuming to develop than initially considered, so we may decide to change the price for the add-on once all these features are implemented. Of course, it will not affect the owners of active licenses but only new purchases.
Please do so.

Top Bottom