Personal Conversation Read Indication Receipt

Forsaken

I think there should be an option to track whether the private conversation has been viewed or not, but its more a want then anything else.

I know at times I'll get busy, and read a PM/conversation and then not respond till later, and allowing users to see that you've read the conversation might be useful, rather then them sending another one.

Upvote 55
In case someone needs this feature right now, there is a paid add-on that does something like this.
Doesn't look like the Conversation Essentials plugin has an alert feature though, that let's you know that something was read by the person you sent it to, does it? I see that you can go into the conversation and check to see if they read it.

The way Facebook, WhatsApp, WeChat, QQ, etc. do it is nice: simply place a check-mark on the right bottom of the message if it is read. People are used to this behavior.

Hello @Alfa1 ,

Most of the time overhere at XF I have a conversation with 1 single person. Then a checkmark would work great indeed.

I was wondering, how would you envision it working if you have a conversation with more then 1 person? I am not sure what the maximum of participants is in a XF conversation, but imagine it are 7 people for example. Then placing a single checkmark would not work anymore, because you would need 7 indicators. What would be a good way of solving/implementing that?

That could be resolved in the same way as the like overlay:
Ludachris, Grover and 3 other people have read this.

When the link is clicked an overlay appears listing the users that read it and when.

Perfect solution @Alfa1. Facebook for example does the same... if you posted a posting in a group and people read it, you get this indicator:

✓ Seen by 7

Then you only have to mouseover it to get a tooltip of these 7 names. But yes, XF has it's own overlay listing indeed.

I feel like this should be implemented, but the user should decide whether or not this feature is enabled for them. So they can turn off 'Read' That way if they don't want the user to see if they've read the message or vice versa it won't be an issue.

I vote yes for this to be implemented. Se7ensins a site I get on that uses Xenforo has this implemented from an add-on but this would be great as a core feature. It's very useful and helps members a lot.

@AzzidReign

The way Facebook, WhatsApp, WeChat, QQ, etc. do it is nice: simply place a check-mark on the right bottom of the message if it is read. People are used to this behavior.

And you can disable this, and that is important for privacy reasons. The EU law stands behind this,, and thats the reason why it must be disabled on a per user base, if it comes to XF.

Personally I really like it and dislike people who disables the blue check marks in WhatsApp. But for law reasons a must must deactivate it.

how about keeping it mutually active like in whatsapp's last seen...
"If you won't leave Read Receipt for others,you won't be getting one for your messages too"

also,could be refined for per user configurations via criterias like "people you follow" "people you had more than X conversations" etc..

Top Bottom