Personal Conversation Read Indication Receipt

Forsaken

I think there should be an option to track whether the private conversation has been viewed or not, but its more a want then anything else.

I know at times I'll get busy, and read a PM/conversation and then not respond till later, and allowing users to see that you've read the conversation might be useful, rather then them sending another one.

Upvote 55
It would be pretty neat if on the list of conversation participants, a little icon appears next to each name listed and indicates whether or not the participant has read the conversation since the latest message was added.

Maybe an optional extra, but plenty of people, myself included, read messages with no intention of responding immediately, if ever. Sometimes there's just someone you don't want to talk to and it's obviously not ideal if they know you're ignoring them.

It would be pretty neat if on the list of conversation participants, a little icon appears next to each name listed and indicates whether or not the participant has read the conversation since the latest message was added.
i'm second about this :)

It would be good to show when users who were involved in a given conversation had last read it. This is handy for checking if things have been read but not replied to. Like ipb it could go in the sidebar block which shows the conversation participants. I find this very useful in ipb.

Would like some indication that a personal conversation has been read and be able to set the ability to ask for the indication on a usergroup basis, although this would more than likely just be for our Admin group.

Find it rather annoying to send out PC's and not know if they've been read until I actually talk to the individual user, this would save me a fair bit of time.

I am putting this idea up, with a question mark myself, because I am actually not sure if it's all good, since there might be some cons to it :).

Having said that, this is the idea: on a platform like Facebook you get a confirmation (by a text/indicator saying 'Seen' or something like that inside of the message) if the person you send a private message to has seen your message.

I was thinking if this would also be handy/useful for Xenforo's Conversation feature.

Maybe there are some pros and cons to it. I personally actually like it (on platforms like Facebook) that I can now see (in the past this feature was not available) that the person I send a private message to has actually seen it. This prevents possible second messages 'Have you read the message I send you before... ' etc. Depending on the situation, it's really useful to know that your message has reached the persons that you needed to reach.

On the other hand, maybe the person 'on the other side' doesn't want you to see that she/he actually read the message, so that could be a con of such a feature. Not sure if Facebook has a setting to opt-out on this.

Anyway, is this anything useful for Xenforo, or...?

Please do [like] this first posting if you think it is a good feature suggestion for XenForo

Edit: (oops... this suggestion was already made by Forsaken, did not find the thread, so they are now merged)

Please add a way to see if a conversation message has been read and when. It would be optimal if the admin could set this as a usergroup permission.

On large forums its pretty hard to see if you are talking to dormant accounts. Especially if you are addressing multiple users. Its very useful to be able to see if users have read a message.

The same goes for warnings.​

Yes, it would be nice to be table to track PCs.

Even if the PC receiving user cannot respond for whatever reasons, a read receipt would allow them to acknowledge that they at least got your PC.

On the other hand, maybe the person 'on the other side' doesn't want you to see that she/he actually read the message, so that could be a con of such a feature.
That can happen.
Can always go the Outlook-esque route of asking the user if they want to confirm receipt of a conversation.
The way to do it.
Confirm or not. That would be up to the receiver.

The way Facebook, WhatsApp, WeChat, QQ, etc. do it is nice: simply place a check-mark on the right bottom of the message if it is read. People are used to this behavior.

The old way that forums do it is clunky. Confirming is just too much hassle.
It would be nice to have a setting in usercp so that users can turn this off if they want.
It would be even nicer if the admin can allow usergroups to turn this off or not, so that it can become a VIP member setting and create some income for the site.

On the other hand, maybe the person 'on the other side' doesn't want you to see that she/he actually read the message, so that could be a con of such a feature. Not sure if Facebook has a setting to opt-out on this.

Facebook doesn't have a privacy setting to disable this on a user basis. I just checked it.

So, I totally agree with what Alfa1 is saying below. If XF can come up with this and provide a privacy option for this, then we've beaten even Facebook ;-)

The way Facebook, WhatsApp, WeChat, QQ, etc. do it is nice: simply place a check-mark on the right bottom of the message if it is read. People are used to this behavior.

The old way that forums do it is clunky. Confirming is just too much hassle.
It would be nice to have a setting in usercp so that users can turn this off if they want.
It would be even nicer if the admin can allow usergroups to turn this off or not, so that it can become a VIP member setting and create some income for the site.

Having said that, also Whatsapp does not seem to have a privacy option (just checked that as well) to disable read indicators, so maybe it is not such a issue for people after all. Regardless,

I see the fantastic Conversation feature in XF is still rather underdeveloped even with the recent version of XF, so I hope we can see several improvements of this really engaging system in the not so distant future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom