Permissions System

Sounds nice to me! If you guys can produce an even better permissions system than VB I'm already sold (VB, IMO, really gives the admin a lot of control over groups and individual users, including the access masks *one of my favorite features btw*).

Considering you both yourself and Kier had a major hand in creating that system, I'm not the least bit concerned.

Simple usually means less control. Less control usually means bad. Therefor, simple is bad.

Although I like the vB permission system, it has some weird stuff. For example, the HTML permissions being forum based (rather than by user or by usergroup) and several permission settings being spread to multiple places. I hope Mike and Kier will handle it better, although I'm pretty sure they will.

Although I like the vB permission system, it has some weird stuff. For example, the HTML permissions being forum based (rather than by user or by usergroup) and several permission settings being spread to multiple places. I hope Mike and Kier will handle it better, although I'm pretty sure they will.

You are certainly right about that.

The permission system in XenForo is unique and extremely powerful, but right now that power is just sort of splurged out onto pages in the Admin Control Panel, and it will need a fair bit of UI work before we're happy to demonstrate it without people complaining about their eyes bleeding ;)

The permission system in XenForo is unique and extremely powerful, but right now that power is just sort of splurged out onto pages in the Admin Control Panel, and it will need a fair bit of UI work before we're happy to demonstrate it without people complaining about their eyes bleeding ;)

That sounds very reasonable! :)

Show me now, I have goggles. :p

Perhaps it is implementing some form of ACL ? Zend_ACL ? I can think of anything else if it's not powered by bitfields.

I wouldn't even concern yourself with how it's powered - in the grand scheme of things that's a relatively minor technical detail.

The headline story is what you can do with it... and what a story it will be when we tell it :)

I wouldn't even concern yourself with how it's powered - in the grand scheme of things that's a relatively minor technical detail.

Not concerned, just excited , and it's not just permissions but the entire back-end that I am interested in. Right now, I feel like I am watching a magic show as XF develops, all spectacle and no science! Which is exciting but my curiosity is growing inexhaustible. :D

If you guys can produce an even better permissions system than VB I'm already sold (VB, IMO, really gives the admin a lot of control over groups and individual users, including the access masks *one of my favorite features btw*).

VB's permission system is in dire need of a major-redoing as I commented there long time ago. For me, XF's implementation will be possibly what make it or break it. I hope a video is released soon and well before the beta as it will possibly be the biggest and most influencing factor on how many if any licences I'll buy.

4 years later, I am still very intrigued the technical details. How do you store them for quick comparison if you don't use bitfields?
Same question, I've started to learn PHP and I'm really interested to know how the permission system has been coded or designed.

Top Bottom