XF 1.3 Permissions question

Chimpie

This should be basic but I'm just not seeing it.

We currently have a Community Leader Information Center section where our leaders can go and post things privately. The admins and moderators are able to access it and our regular members are not. It is working properly (from our vB import), but I'm just trying to figure out why and how it's working. lol

When I go Display Node Tree > CL Info Center Permissions it lists all the user groups.
If I click on the Moderator user group, everything under the grey Inherit is ticked. Same thing for Administrative user group.
Now our 500 Club user group (for those who have over 500 posts) also have everything ticked under Inherit, but they cannot view the forum section, which is correct.

Now, if I go to User Group Permissions in the ACP and view either 500 Club, Administrative or even Moderators, nothing I see connects the user group to the forum section.

How does the forum section know what to inherit and what not to? Or, how does the forum section know to display the content to admins and mods, but not to the other members? What am I missing?

It's probably worth looking at the permission analyzer, as that will show you the various bits that combine to a final value. (Note that you will never see a node if you can't see its parent.)

Thanks for the response, but I guess I wasn't being clear. Let me try again.

Let's say I create either a new forum or a new category. Where I am telling it what usergroups are allowed to view/post in it?

Okay, I saw that, but that doesn't explain (to me at least) the inheriting part.

Or... Are the settings being inherited from the highest parent node?

Yes, permissions are inherited from the parent.
Alright, I have a better understanding of it now, but can't figure out why something is not appearing.

In our node tree I have:
Community Leader Forums (Category)
Community Leader HQ (Forum)
General CL Chat (Forum)​

For the Administrative permissions for the CL Forum category, I have everything allowed. All green options are ticked.
For the CL HQ forum, I have everything Inherited.
For General CL Chat forum, I have everything Inherited.

With everything saved, our primary user, if he has his primary user group set as Administrative, he should see the Category and two forum sections. But he does not.

What else should I look for?

Have you run the permissions analyser as was suggested earlier on this user? It should show you what the permissions are and why the user isn't seeing the forums.

I'd also suggest you read these two guides on permissions:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

They should help you understand better how permissions work on XenForo. The first one also explains why you should be using the Registered group as the primary group for everyone.

Top Bottom