Permissions: Private node (forum)

CTXMedia

I have a private forum node where I limit the editing window to 10 mins.

I do this with a specific usergroup that people are promoted into after 15 posts.

However, I also have a paid subscription usergroup (let's call it 'extras') that has an unlimited edit window.

Will the 'extras' group members have an unlimited editing window for this node or will the 'private' nature of the node override it?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I'd be interested to know the answer to this. The Understanding Permissions guide is very good and helped me to understand how all of the other permissions work, though I am still unclear on the permissions which require a numerical input and how these interact with each other.

Okay, thanks Brogan - so the permissions are unaffected by the "Private node" setting and any explicit permission you want to change needs doing within that node - such as specifically setting a 10 minute editing window for the 'extras' group.

I'd assumed that "private" was the reflective opposite and meant "no"/limited unless explicitly stated in the node permissions for each usergroup. Thanks for the clarification <nips off to change permissions on our Classified nodes ... (y)>.

Cheers,

Right, I've sussed-out the permissions and used them for our classified ads sections - created a new "Classifieds" usergroup - and used a parent/child relationship to simplify things.

However users are not promoted into the new group when they login. I thought new promotions were applied at login? or are they only applied via the cron?

If it's cron only can I adjust the current setting of running once at 20 past the hour and run it multiple times by CTRL+select the minutes?

Also is there a way of manually applying the promotion to everyone that meets the criteria, i.e. has more than 15 posts?

Thanks,

Promotions are done via cron.

You can Click Manage Promoted Users to apply them manually.

You can also run the cron manually as frequently as you wish.

Promotions are done via cron.

You can Click Manage Promoted Users to apply them manually.

You can also run the cron manually as frequently as you wish.

Okay, thanks - I've modified the cron to run every 15 mins. for the time being; most of the regulars will receive it over the course of the next week or two.

The manual application only seems to be for single user accounts though - is there no way of applying the promotion to everyone who qualifies, you know, run it against the entire userbase? (I'm guessing not at the moment, but it doesn't hurt to ask ;) )

Cheers,

I think Jake posted a code edit which would make the cron apply to all members, not just those who have been active in the last 72 hours.

Top Bottom