Fixed Permissions not removed on add-on upgrade

Xon

Affected version
I've had cases where I've released an add-on upgrade with a permission definition by mistake, but the next version does not have it. On upgrading to the latest version, the permission definition is not removed as expected.

Last edited:
Not really seeing how this can happen, nor can I reproduce it in testing. If you can point us in the direction of a couple of add-on version releases where the issue can be reproduced consistently we can do some further testing.

@Chris D I figured out why this is happening.

Deploy the add-on with a permissions.xml file, and then deploy a version without the permissions.xml file. Guess what, nothing deleted that old permissions.xml file. Can't believe that didn't click.

I think _data needs to be populated with each XML file, even if empty. Otherwise simply uploading files is not sufficient to remove removed items.

@Chris D because the XML files aren't version stamped with the add-on version, the installer is reusing the old permissions.xml file which wasn't removed when the add-on files where uploaded/merged. The is a legitimate permissions.xml file, it just is from the wrong version of the add-on.

All the FTP/SFTP upload clients I've used default to "merge" when a directory already exists in the destination and it is uploading a matching directory.

While technically not a bug, but something which can seriously complicate the ergonomic of updating add-ons.

I briefly had a moment where I thought we handled it, but, yeah, you're right, it's the old file getting left over in the file system that causes the problem. I twigged before you replied.

Good catch, we'll just write out all add-on data XML files going forward, even if they contain no entries.

Top Bottom