Permissions for Members to Move Their Own Threads?

imno007

Does this exist? I can't seem to find it under permissions. Someone please tell me that Xenforo allows this, otherwise you've just added to my moderation duties. Actually, members would be so irked by this that I'd have to consider allowing them all mod permissions to move everyone's threads, so someone give me some good news.

Thanks for the reply, King.

Have to say this one seriously surprises me. Don't think I've ever used a forum platform that didn't allow this, even free ones. Know I've been using it on SMF for the last several years.

Well, mod privileges for everyone, hurrah! :LOL:

Letting a user move their own threads sounds like a terrible idea unless it also goes along with a timeframe (like within 5 minutes of making thread or something). Otherwise you'll just get users moving their threads around way after the fact just because they can.

Letting a user move their own threads sounds like a terrible idea unless it also goes along with a timeframe (like within 5 minutes of making thread or something). Otherwise you'll just get users moving their threads around way after the fact just because they can.

Well, I can only tell you that my own experience from having allowed it on my own boards for the last seven years has not shown that to be the case. But then again, most of my members are older and a little more mature than some places. If they're going to put a thread in the wrong board, then they're most likely to do it when they first post it (which is especially true with my forums, because I have so many nested boards). Then they realize they made a mistake and want to move it - which means if they can't I have to, and I'd rather not be bothered. Some users have asked me to move a thread for them, assuming they couldn't or not knowing how, and I'd basically just tell them they could do it themselves, and most seemed to like that. And if I were doing the moving and a member was obstinately moving it back to wherever, against my objections, he'd get the mod paddle just like anyone else giving me a hard time. But honestly, I can't remember ever having that problem. This is why it should be a choice for the admin, I don't need someone not allowing me to do something with my own boards simply because they imagine it wouldn't be a good idea. ;)

Last edited:
[InfisJSC] Topic starter's rights

Unsure if "Move own posts" will extend to moving entire threads but it's worth a try. All that my search turned up.

Thanks, but yeah, that looks dubious. Like you said, it has a post move option but no thread move option. Considering all the thread specific options listed, I'd think it would have been explicitly stated if there were a thread move option. Also, seems to have been a lot of people getting various code errors over time, and then nothing after April - but then maybe that's because it's been working as smooth as butter ever since! Guess it can't hurt to ask, I'll post over there. I am using 1.2, though, already, so I won't get my hopes up about it, whether it allows thread moves or not. ;)

Top Bottom