Permissions Confusion

SandyF

Otay, I've been through several threads on permissions and I'm still riding the forum admin short bus.

On the User Group Permissions page, I'm looking at my Registered Users default group.

I get lost with the headings:
General Permissions seems logical enough

What I don't understand is:
General Moderator Permissions - what is this? I have a moderators group, who (in theory) has their own set of group permissions. Who and what do these boxes apply to?

Forum Permissions again seems logical, although I still cannot figure out how to give Registered Users the ability to post, but all posts go into the moderation queue for approval.

Then there is Forum Moderator Permissions - and I'm confused again and why this is here instead of part of the Moderator Group permissions set.

Same with Personal Conversation Moderator Permissions. Who do these settings apply to, the Registered User or a Moderator?

Thanks!

What I don't understand is:
General Moderator Permissions - what is this? I have a moderators group, who (in theory) has their own set of group permissions. Who and what do these boxes apply to?

Then there is Forum Moderator Permissions - and I'm confused again and why this is here instead of part of the Moderator Group permissions set.

Same with Personal Conversation Moderator Permissions. Who do these settings apply to, the Registered User or a Moderator?

Mod permissions can be assigned at the group level. Leave those permissions on Default if you don't want those users to have moderator abilities.

Forum Permissions again seems logical, although I still cannot figure out how to give Registered Users the ability to post, but all posts go into the moderation queue for approval.

Set this permission to Default to force their posts to go into moderation:

Screen shot 2011-01-24 at 9.08.34 AM.webp

Thanks!

Where do I set the message moderation rules, though? I have all my node permissions set for inherit. Is the "default" option for all posts to go into the moderation queue? It would be helpful if there was some documentation somewhere (or maybe there is and I'm blind...) that shows what the defaults are. I get that Allow and Deny override the Default, but what are the Default settings?

Default simply means not set.

So if you set all permissions for the registered usergroup to Default for example, they won't have any permissions.

Default basically means "not set" which results in an overall No for that permission if there is not an Allow elsewhere for that permission. Deny is normally not used. Deny is an overriding No permission which cannot be overridden by anything.

Follow message moderation rules is not in the node permissions, only in the group permissions. You just have to set it for the group and that's all.

Default simply means not set.

So if you set all permissions for the registered usergroup to Default for example, they won't have any permissions.

Ok, so I want a Registered User to have
Allow - Post new thread
Allow - Post new reply
Default (no permissions) - Follow message moderation rules

That allows them to create a new thread or reply, but kicks said thread/reply into the Moderation Queue for approval.

Do I have that right?

Yes, that should do it.

Don't forget though they will also need perms related to view node, etc. or they won't be able to access the forums at all.

I obviously need to go back and reset all my permissions and see what's wrong after reading this thread. I know a lot are obviously wrong if default means "no permission". Agreed wording should be changed

Wouldn't it make sense to change the wording from "default" to whatever it actually means -- "no" or "not set"?
The problem with that is, when setting up a second usergroup and leaving permissions set to "No" or "Not Set", others would complain that the permissions remain as they are inherited from other usergroups.
So in those cases it doesn't mean "No" or "Not Set".

The "Default" setting serves a dual purpose, so however you word it it's not going to sit right with some.

The problem with that is, when setting up a second usergroup and leaving permissions set to "No" or "Not Set", others would complain that the permissions remain as they are inherited from other usergroups.
So in those cases it doesn't mean "No" or "Not Set".

The "Default" setting serves a dual purpose, so however you word it it's not going to sit right with some.

Well here's a thought: don't have the default setting serve a dual purpose. Have default actually mean "default," as in, whatever base permission you set up that you're copying to another group, while "no" actually means "no," and "yes" actually means "yes."

No, scratch that - I hate "default," it tells me nothing. Just yes and no. Even if you're copying a group, you see just the "yes" or "no," with no guesswork, and no trying to figure out whether default means yes, no or maybe.

Well here's a thought: don't have the default setting serve a dual purpose. Have default actually mean "default,"
But there is no "default" in the sense I think you mean.
If you set up a usergroup and set everything to Default then members of that group will have no permissions, if it's their only group.

But there is no "default" in the sense I think you mean.
If you set up a usergroup and set everything to Default then members of that group will have no permissions, if it's their only group.

Yeah, I just edited that - sorry. Get rid of default, it's meaningless and I end up setting a yes or no anyway because it's a pain to keep going back and checking what "default" means.

Yeah, I just edited that - sorry. Get rid of default, it's meaningless and I end up setting a yes or no anyway because it's a pain to keep going back and checking what "default" means.
it would be nice if it would indicate exactly what 'default' it was inheriting:

perm_inheritance.webp

in the 'inherit revoke' example, all other options could actually be unselectable to make it more logical.

I'm going to tag this on here and hope someone answers: what do I have to do to give the usergroup Admin permission to edit someone else's post? I've already given the permission to the Admin usergroup, and for Admin in the the nodes permissions, and for the specific user (me) in User Permissions, and still nothing.

Have you made the user in question a moderator?

Moderator functions/permissions are separate from administrator functions/permissions.

Well it's me actually, and no, I didn't know I also had to make myself a moderator as well to edit a post - so I'll try that. Thanks so much!

---edit----

(Hey, that's kind of screwy though isn't it? That means I have to give the permission to ALL moderators as well - what if I don't want them to have it?)

Top Bottom