Permission System..

FredC

I didnt know where to post this so here it is, Move if necessary..
Am i the only one having a hard time wrapping my head around this permission system as a whole.. The Test user permissions works but only to the point if you know exactly what its supposed to change.. I wish that feature would allow me to see the site exactly as that particular member sees it.. Including posts read unread..

Back to the permissions. Maybe its just user error or my site just doesnt like me.. Either way this is beyond frustrating in trying to set Usergroup permissions.. For whatever reason i cant give my Sponsors group permissions to edit their own forums and the list just seems to go on.. Im sure the ACP options are at least working at 80% and maybe even 100% but since all this is so new its really hard to determine if its a forum issue or and Admin issue.. Im about to pull my hair out at this point.

I really thought i had this new system figured out, But apparently im either not even close or my forum is already bugged.

Jake did a pretty good thread here explaining the permissions: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/

There's one here about administrators and moderators: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...r-as-staff-and-create-secret-moderators.7987/

Essentially permissions are cumulative.
Give the Registered user group the minimum set of permissions you want.
Then just add to those permissions with the secondary user groups.

Node permissions then allow you to adjust the permissions of a particular group for that node.

I've moved the thread to general support where it might get a better response than the off topic forum.

I've not played with the permissions yet but they appear prity much straight forward to me.
Yeah thats what i thought to but when i make a change it doesnt seem to change anything.. For example i was testing the changes i made using the test user permissions function and although i granted them some moderating permissions they didnt show up at all for one user, and another it seemed to work (allowing to edit posts etc) on some members and not others. I suppose if it was working 100% for me i wouldnt have these issues but since this is beta i cant determine if im just stupid or its not working right..

Yeah thats what i thought to but when i make a change it doesnt seem to change anything.. For example i was testing the changes i made using the test user permissions function and although i granted them some moderating permissions they didnt show up at all for one user, and another it seemed to work (allowing to edit posts etc) on some members and not others. I suppose if it was working 100% for me i wouldnt have these issues but since this is beta i cant determine if im just stupid or its not working right..

TBH I would need to look more into the permission system. I'm sure it's just an oversight on your part but I suggest clicking on the link paul posted it may bring that result your looking for.

Thanks Brogan and Peggy I will dig into it in a minute.. But i spent all this time stitching some screen shots together, so i will share them as one example.. This just doesnt seem right, but maybe im wrong i dont know. ;)

The screen shot represents me (super admin) testing DoUrdens (super moderator) permissions. as you can see according to the screen cap she can edit my posts but not my co admins posts.. Seems odd.
Capture_12212010_163518.webp

Now for the record if i am surfing with my regualr permissions as an Administrator i could edit all the posts as i see fit. And no its not a time out thing either. (those were old posts)

Thanks Brogan that probably makes sense.. kinda makes that system practically useless, but oh well it is what it is..
How does it make it useless? It doesn't make it any different. If you can edit your own posts but not someone else's, then they can edit their own posts and not someone else's. It is conceptually a bit different, but it is equally valid. (And it is the only logical way that some permissions could be tested, such as those dealing with conversations.)

One of my staff was testing out permissions the other day and just couldn't get his head around it. I, too, found it a bit confusing. The link to Jake's thread posted by Brogan was, indeed, insightful, though.

How does it make it useless? It doesn't make it any different. If you can edit your own posts but not someone else's, then they can edit their own posts and not someone else's. It is conceptually a bit different, but it is equally valid. (And it is the only logical way that some permissions could be tested, such as those dealing with conversations.)
Probably just a learning disorder i dont know about or something, but no matter how hard i try i just cant make sense of what your trying to say Mike.. Seems the harder i try to understand it the more difficult and confusing it gets.. Im just going to leave this one alone for a day or two before my head explodes. Like i said it could very well just be me not understanding basic kindergarten concepts.

But for the record i didn't say useless i said practically useless. ;)

Next question regarding permissions: How do i grant my mods, super mods and co admin the ability to see the reported items in the forum header?? None of them see this except me. Clarification they see the button but not the bubble. Yes the ticket is still open. ;) It still shows 0 for my entire staff while i see a 1 it also indicates that there are no open tickets to view when they click on the zero anyway Even though there is clearly 1 open reported item.. I didnt claim this because im trying to trouble shoot this issue.

You need to explicitly make them a moderator; either a Super Moderator or of a particular forum.

Adding members to the moderating group only changes their title and grants the permissions from that group.

All of the moderating permissions are explained in the post I linked to above: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...r-as-staff-and-create-secret-moderators.7987/
I already did all that Brogen. otherwise they didnt show up in the staff online box.. Im begining to think i just got a bunk copy of XF. ;) jK but i didnt have nearly a fraction of these issues on my first vB to XF import on another forum..

Really i think i have a decent grasp on the permission system i just think this perticular forum is broke already.. Im starting to think it was just broke from the get go.. This is my third XF install the first was a fresh install on a demo site The second was a vB4 import on canine chat. and the third was another vB4 import on Doberman Chat, Im only having these issues on Doberman Chat all hosted on the same VPS. Seems i just traded in one set of headaches for another set entirely.. Ugh i cant win.. Anyone have a break for sale?

If it's just permission issues then it should be possible to resolve as it's just settings in the database.

Have you tried creating a new test account and seeing what happens if you make that account a moderator?

If we can verify that the system is fundamentally working then we can concentrate on resolving the issues with the existing moderators.

There has been an issue with imported moderators not being tagged as mods correctly. I don't know if beta 5 has a workaround off hand; if it does, then editing each moderator's record should fix it. If it doesn't, the current workaround is to delete and re-add them as a mod.

The next release fixes both the import issue and makes it easier to workaround.

I dont know, the whole thing just seems fundamentally broke (on my site not XF as a whole).. Some members can do things other members cant withen the same usergroups and the exact same permissions.. Same with the moderating group.. Only half my moderators can see the reported posts bubble some see a one (which is correct) and others see the zero.. none of this is making any sense to me.. I did as brogan suggested and created a test account and gave it super moderator permissions and everything was perfect.. I did already delete my entire staff and re added them with the same results except that they did finally show up in the staff online box...

I would remove one of the mods as a mod that you are having issues with and then re-add them. See if that works. Like Mike mentioned about the import having an issue but is fixed in the next release. But you already imported from an older beta of XF so if there was a bug it is still there.

Top Bottom