Permission error with post new threads

Cao

With any forum, I setup Node permissions for Registered groups like image below (select Revoke or Never on Post new thread)

2014-02-20_162730.webp

When I'm using Admin account, I can not create new thread to this forum.

2014-02-20_163406.webp

I just want to ban the Registered group post new thread in this forum but I did not want to ban other groups.

I had test on Xenforo 1.2.4 and 1.3 beta.

You're kind of doing it the wrong way around.

Everyone is a member of the registered group, which is why when you revoke that permission, it revokes it for the Admin too (because the Admin is also a member of the Registered group by default).

Ideally, you should go into the global usergroup permissions for the Registered group and set the "Post new thread" permission to "No".

Then, in the node permissions, set the "Post new thread" permission to "Allow" for the usergroups which are allowed to create new threads. e.g. Administrative, etc.

@caoanh204 , why are you posting the same problem here in the Topic starter's permissions discussion thread? Are you using that add-on? Are you sure that your issues aren't just related to how your usergroup and node permissions are set up?

It would be helpful if you responded to the help that we have given you so far rather than saying nothing and posting the same thing elsewhere.

You're kind of doing it the wrong way around.

Everyone is a member of the registered group, which is why when you revoke that permission, it revokes it for the Admin too (because the Admin is also a member of the Registered group by default).

Ideally, you should go into the global usergroup permissions for the Registered group and set the "Post new thread" permission to "No".

Then, in the node permissions, set the "Post new thread" permission to "Allow" for the usergroups which are allowed to create new threads. e.g. Administrative, etc.
I know, but on my old vBulletin, I can do it. I think Registered and Adminstrator/Moderator should have several permissions.

This isn't vBulletin.

It has an entirely different (and much improved) permissions system. It requires a completely different thought process when dealing with it. What I suggested will work perfectly. So you can still achieve the same thing, but it is just done differently.

@caoanh204 , why are you posting the same problem here in the Topic starter's permissions discussion thread? Are you using that add-on? Are you sure that your issues aren't just related to how your usergroup and node permissions are set up?

It would be helpful if you responded to the help that we have given you so far rather than saying nothing and posting the same thing elsewhere.
No, that addon had similar problem with MOVE thread, not CREAT NEW thread.
This error I posting here when I had test on new clean forum running Xenforo 1.3.

I know, but on my old vBulletin, I can do it. I think Registered and Adminstrator/Moderator should have several permissions.
Chris is correct. Xenforo isn't vBulletin (thank goodness!) and the permissions system works differently and is better. Do read the resources I linked to. If you set up your usergroups and nodes in that way and follow Chris's advice, it will work perfectly and you'll be able to manage your groups more efficiently in the future.

@caoanh204 on the same forum permissions, go to the administrative usergroup and set the post new thread permission to allow. This will make it so that members of the administrative group can create new threads there (since you will be in that additional group and the "allow" permission will override "revoke") but normal members who aren't part of the administrative group won't be able to post new threads.

Edit: Make sure registered users "post new thread" permission is revoke, if you select never -- the "allow" will not override it.

Top Bottom