XF 1.5 Performance drop with 97 addons

Nulumia

I'm running a test/development area with currently 97 addons enabled. This might seem like a "duh" point but the rebuilding process takes around 3-4 minutes currently when making any common change - adding/updating styles, upgrading or installing addons, rebuilding caches, etc. Note that I'm also running 14 different styles in development, so I realize this is a lot of rebuilding going on. The front-end still snappy fast, it's just making major changes in the backend.

I'm currently on medium-level VPS with a gamut of usual performance tweaks, htaccess, php config, memory limits etc.

Is this really just the threshold Xen is hitting with this amount of addons & styles, or is there any other method I'm missing to optimize things a bit?

Lastly just want to point out I'm running this many addons to implement compatibility styling and css into my styles to cover as many "popular" addons available for Xenforo as possible. And there's another 20-30 or so I'd even like to test on top of this..

Looking forward to any opinions!

Rebuilding will take longer based on the number of styles and languages (and the server spec and configuration).

This is the trade off for having better front end performance.

Thanks for fast reply as always Brogan. Currently running through and uninstalling as many dated/unused addons as possible, will track how much of a speed boost is gained.

I wouldn't expect there to be that much difference as roughly speaking, the amount of work required is the number of languages x the number of styles.

Hmm... so it's more the number of styles causing more delay than the plugins? I currently only have 1 (default) language but 14 styles and will be likely doubling this in the coming months. I wonder if I'll have to create a workaround for this, split them across two local dev instances or something?

For local development purposes, it would probably make more sense to have multiple installs with a max number of styles (e.g. 10) per install.

Unless you can live with the rebuild time.

Not to necro this thread but figured this is a relevant follow-up. In the following scenario:
Let's say I have 12 themes where most of them are child-themes, 1 or 2 levels deep, and 95% of their templates being inherited (no customizations).

If I were to take all 12 themes and load them on a live forum where they are NOT in parent-child theme configuration, but rather exported and imported as purely independent themes, would the rebuild time (upon making settings changes) be any different between the scenarios?
I.e., would the inherited aspect of most of the templates make a difference on rebuild speed.

It would likely be somewhat slower. It would prevent us from sharing some of the work as we do now, at least in specific scenarios.

Top Bottom