XF 2.2 PayPal issue

Faust

Hello. I do receive some PayPal emails regarding Some issues on my site.

Hi,

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) failed:

https://site.com/payment_callback.php?_xfProvider=paypal

If you don't recognise this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for helping resolve this issue.

Any ideas why I have this issue and how can I fix ?

Thanks.

Solution
If nothing is showing up in XF's payment logs, then you need to check the PayPal IPN settings.

First, ensure that it shows up as being enabled. That should be here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-ipn-notify Note that the URL entered doesn't hugely matter as we override it explicitly, but the .../payment_callback.php?_xfProvider=paypal URL is good.

Assuming it's enabled, you need to look at the IPN history here: https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-ipns-history Note that it may only show the last day by default so you need to expand that to a larger date range.

If nothing shows up in the IPN history, that means that PayPal isn't sending IPNs and that's the problem...
In the control panel, look at the "payment provider log". Are there specific errors there?

Generally, errors shouldn't happen once it has been setup. At a guess, it might be a business/receiver_email error, which essentially means that PayPal is reporting a different email address back as the account that received the money than we could verify. If that's the case, make sure the correct email (likely the account's primary email) is listed in your PayPal payment profile in the XF control panel.

In the control panel, look at the "payment provider log". Are there specific errors there?

Generally, errors shouldn't happen once it has been setup. At a guess, it might be a business/receiver_email error, which essentially means that PayPal is reporting a different email address back as the account that received the money than we could verify. If that's the case, make sure the correct email (likely the account's primary email) is listed in your PayPal payment profile in the XF control panel.
There is a user upgrade subscription, which has been cancelled via PayPal, but the system seems tried to deduct money. Could this be a reason?

The logs here relate to PayPal calling back to XF, so if there's any sort of deduction, it'd be happening within PayPal.

What is the specific error message you're seeing?

The logs here relate to PayPal calling back to XF, so if there's any sort of deduction, it'd be happening within PayPal.

No errors at all.
everything is ok, and no actions needed.

but I still received the email from PayPal for some reason.

For some reason I keep receiving that email today as well. So not sure where the issue is.

If there aren't any logs in XF, then it's quite possible that the IPN calls aren't actually reaching the server, for example.

There are IPN logs within your PayPal account which might give some more details, such as listing the server response code. I believe they can be found within the area where you enable IPNs in your account.

If there aren't any logs in XF, then it's quite possible that the IPN calls aren't actually reaching the server, for example.

There are IPN logs within your PayPal account which might give some more details, such as listing the server response code. I believe they can be found within the area where you enable IPNs in your account.
There are logs on payment logs, but these aren't Errors displayed. So not sure how to fix this error

I checked the IPN logs on PayPal account, and theres no messages at all.

We are also seeing issues recently (past couple of months with user upgrades via PayPal not showing up in the Payment Provider log or on the User upgrades page. They show up in the PayPal account but are not reflected on the Xenforo side.

I haven't yet been able to determine troubleshooting parameters, partly because the user upgraded in question are fairly expensive and therefore not frequently used by members (I think there have only been 3 cases since April but all have had this problem) . They are all recurring subscriptions until cancelled in case that makes a difference.

This is not applicable in our case, but see also

Last edited:
See also

I'm not using cloudflare so not sure how to fix this issue.

See also

Also still not sure how to fix this.

Top Bottom