Paying for Mods and Add-Ons Again?

What do you expect to pay if anything for mod ported to XenForo?

• Treat it as a new product, all pay full price.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • Discount for licensed users .

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Free "update" for licensed users.

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Other, please explain in thread.

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
I voted new product. The idea may be the same, the coding will be sufficiently different as the infrastructure is nothing close to the same. The entire mod would need to be recoded to fit XF... not just 'ported' as some may think, meaning a few changes here and there to get it working on XF.

The problem for the mod writers is they will have to re-write all their products from the ground up so they will be putting in significant time and effort to port them to XenForo.

As such, I can understand why they would want to recoup their costs by charging standard prices, even for those people who have already purchased them for other forum software.
I agree. Also, if add-on developers gave xF product licenses away, this would give the customer access to both the xF and previous-platform versions of the software; due to the electronic nature of the product, it's not possible to "give/take it back".

Full price...both for the fact that it will take all that work to port it over, but also because if folks are not compensated what they are worth (i.e., what the market thinks is a fair price for their products or services), they will do a half-assed job.

They are different products, simple as that.
If you don't think the price is fair because you already paid, and theres' no discount from 1% to 100% for it for existing customers, and you think that's unfair: then don't spend the money.

Top Bottom