Not planned Password confirmation at Sign up

FedericoS

Hello everyone! :)
I have a useful XenForo suggestion:

Add a "Confirm Password" field to Registration page, for prevent a bad password typing by new users.
Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Probably just going to say we’re not planning this at this point.

We only recently removed the password confirmation with XF2 and we did it consciously to simplify the registration process.

Mistyping your password is certainly possible, but arguably not mistyping your password is the norm therefore there’s an overall net benefit for the majority of users who would type it correctly first time in that it makes the process quicker.

Of course what’s even more common than mistyping your password once is just forgetting the password in the first place.

Either way, the reset password process is a decent trade off for solving those issues vs making the registration process longer.

Probably just going to say we’re not planning this at this point.

We only recently removed the password confirmation with XF2 and we did it consciously to simplify the registration process.

Mistyping your password is certainly possible, but arguably not mistyping your password is the norm therefore there’s an overall net benefit for the majority of users who would type it correctly first time in that it makes the process quicker.

Of course what’s even more common than mistyping your password once is just forgetting the password in the first place.

Either way, the reset password process is a decent trade off for solving those issues vs making the registration process longer.
How about having this as a toggle inside of the "Registration" area?

"Password Confirmation" toggle. :)

Simply because it's time to stop putting barriers in the way of people registering, so we're kind of enforcing that. People forget their passwords regardless of whether they confirm them, and arguably that scenario is much more likely.

Look around the internet, more sites these days have dropped the confirmation field and it seems to work ok for them. Not having the confirmation is an overall benefit so there's no need for an option - just go with it. Trust us ;)

I totally agree with @Chris D and @DragonByte Tech, adding a password confirmation is just annoying and unnecessary for the vast majority of users.
Those users that mistype their password they can easily just reset it.

Mistyping the email would be much more complicated than a mistyped password, and yet users manage to do that on vBulletin which does require to confirm it :confused::eek:
Unfortunately, there is no way to stop idiots - so let's just live with them and don't annoy all others.

Last edited:
People still type passwords? How quaint! :p

Don't recall the last time I typed a password. I have no idea what my xenforo.com password is either - my password manager takes care of all that for me :cool:

Password confirmation fields just means I have to paste the auto-generated long random password twice :D

Password confirmation fields just means I have to paste the auto-generated long random password twice :D
You have to paste your auto-generated password? What is this, 1885? My password manager auto-fills its auto-generated passwords in the confirmation fields if the website has one! ;)

Fillip

You have to paste your auto-generated password? What is this, 1885? My password manager auto-fills its auto-generated passwords in the confirmation fields if the website has one! ;)

Fillip

Yeah, for some reason 1Password v4 doesn't auto fill generated passwords in the registration form on XenForo 2.0 - but it does on other sites.

Must be a quirk in the XF2 UI? I also note that the old XF1.5 registration form did auto fill generated passwords - in both password fields at once.

Maybe one day I'll submit a bug report for it :p

Top Bottom