Paranormal Database - Not a forum

Bain

Hey Guys & Gals,

I haven't done much in the area of forums in several months now, but a week ago I decided I would do something different and went with a Paranormal Database.

For anyone who has an interest in the Paranormal, or possibly even have stories of their own to share, take a look at http://Parabased.com and it will work just as well with any mobile device as the design is responsive.

As it is responsive I went ahead and had a simple android application designed and it's already available at google play @ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.parabased

I'm just looking for feedback, but if you enjoy the look/design of it and enjoy the topic, please keep coming back as I assure you it will be around and will get better as time goes by.

Neat.
A databased site as you suggest.
Looks like Wordpress with disqus comments.

To me, forums are very interactive but mostly chit chat and don't "accomplish" things over time. Threads get unwieldy almost useless over time.
A structured database is much better at capturing useful data, but is cold and not interactive. Not engaging.
The ideal community (not currently invented) would more seamlessly organized version of both.
Obviously your site is a database type with all it's strengths and weaknesses.

I pose to you a question: What are you hoping to accomplish with your paranormal database ?

Neat.
A databased site as you suggest.
Looks like Wordpress with disqus comments.

To me, forums are very interactive but mostly chit chat and don't "accomplish" things over time. Threads get unwieldy almost useless over time.
A structured database is much better at capturing useful data, but is cold and not interactive. Not engaging.
The ideal community (not currently invented) would more seamlessly organized version of both.
Obviously your site is a database type with all it's strengths and weaknesses.

I pose to you a question: What are you hoping to accomplish with your paranormal database ?

Hey Digital,

It is wordpress and I am using the pagelines framework, gravity forms, & disqus for comments and a few additional plugins/code.

I chose a database type of site for the mere prospect that people love telling their stories (and reading other people's true accounts), they sometimes don't want to have their names attached to those for fear of being ridiculed.
With this database, I have stripped away all author information and each submission form has an area where a name, and sometimes a website/email can be displayed if the author so desires.

I consider it a blog that is open to all, but at the same time it truly is a database of individual stories, reports and articles.

With gravity forms, I can allow anyone to create new posts and I decide how the posts look and where they go via that awesome plugin.
I respect the paranormal side of life and have many experiences of my own. Forums were lacking in appropriate interactivity which creates interesting discussion.
I have been in the forum business since 1998 when I was a mod on a UBB forum & as such I have seen forums slow down considerably.
Albeit, some have done remarkably well!

Very cool Bain. I have a few stories.

Thanks, Gabby! If ever you are up to sharing, I am sure others would love to read your experiences.
You will remain anonymous unless you choose otherwise. I do have those options available in each form.

Cool.
I think some discussion and interaction would bring more users ... but that might not be the goal.

Forums are dying. Hopefully better community software is the future ... where threads are just one part of the information milieu.
IMO.

I would love to jot down my two experiences but you know how it is.... People just think we are crazy. :rolleyes: Just a few years ago, I was technically dead but woke up. Since this incident, the other two past paranormal experiences are seem even more real.

Sador, I was still requesting feedback.
If you have nothing to add then I respectively request you cease.
If the moderators feel this is out of place then it is they who shall remove it, or place it where it belongs.

To everyone else, I greatly appreciate all feedback. From the feedback I have received openly and privately, I have made some color changes via CSS. I will also be adding in an option to increase the font size.

Some interesting stories and a few cool thoughts come to mind. Can't say I really buy into all of it, but it does make one think a little.

Top Bottom