[Paid] Style/Skin websites?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 745
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 745

Hi,

Anyone know of any websites that sell skins/styles for Xenforo including the PSD files included for the logo and other PSD for a fully customisable skin/style?

I don't think XenFocus supply the full PSD of the design itself (which I think few, if any, would). However I'd still highly recommend them :-)

No professional XF theme site that I am aware of provides the full PSD of their themes. I could be wrong however.

We certainly don't, we do offer PSD for logo however, and you can purchase De-branding which entitles you to make whatever changes you like, but like most theme sites we do not offer the PSD.

We provide a majority of the design elements in .psd format including the logo...as well as the fonts used. :)

No professional XF theme site that I am aware of provides the full PSD of their themes. I could be wrong however.

We certainly don't, we do offer PSD for logo however, and you can purchase De-branding which entitles you to make whatever changes you like, but like most theme sites we do not offer the PSD.
We provide the entire PSD broken up into the following:
  • main.psd (original non-sliced design)
  • main_cut.psd (post slicing)
  • logo.psd
  • various specific design aspects that require their own psd.

What an odd thing to do without requiring copyright removal first.. or are you saying it is OK to change your themes from the get go?

This is not at all usual in the IPB world where I originate from, nor in the design world in general, where the PSD is the actual intellectual property of the designer, proof of concept etc etc.

Each to their own anyway :)

It has certainly been a common thing in the forum design world (not providing full psd's that is), however it isn't uncommon at all outside of that. Most commercial WP themes sites do, Themeforest does, Template Monster, etc. It is a risk every designer has to weigh for themselves.

It has certainly been a common thing in the forum design world (not providing full psd's that is), however it isn't uncommon at all outside of that. Most commercial WP themes sites do, Themeforest does, Template Monster, etc. It is a risk every designer has to weigh for themselves.

Interesting, Thanks John, perhaps with WordPress being a free product there is more of a "do what you like" attitude towards themes, and designers take a more liberal approach.

In Graphic Design world it is very rare for anyone to issue full PSD's for any work, unless it is a Copyright Ownership handover situation.

To me the message is loud and clear if you offer full psd's, and that message says "make changes as you will..." which is not an attitude I can embrace, having seen some of the disasters my clients have made when let loose on a theme LOL hehehehe.

But yeah, I agree, each designer needs to do what works for them I guess :)

Hi,

Anyone know of any websites that sell skins/styles for Xenforo including the PSD files included for the logo and other PSD for a fully customisable skin/style?

psds don't automatically guarantee that you'll be able to make direct true colour alterations to the style. It all hinges how the psds, elements of that psd is structured and built. A prime example of this is the vbulletin vb3 gdk pack, even though they provided you with psds what they didn't provide you with was a way of making direct and true colour modifications to each and every element residing in the psd(s). The same can be said for styles by many styling providers, sure they may provide psds but alot of psds I've seen have come with poorly structured layers and many rasterized layers which are near to impossible to edit in way of colour alterations. Just something to bare in mind when requesting for a fully editable psd/source file from your styler which some will not provide which I can relate to due to it reflect badly on the styler when clients make their own modifications and totally screw up what was a professional style.

Just an example of what I'm talking about. the full vb3 gdk vs the standalone xenforo smiley gdk. The xenforo smiley gdk has more editable elements to make true colour alterations even manipulate paths to convey different emotions than the entire vb3 gdk. It's questions you need to ask a styler if your 100% wanting a fully editable psd. Are the elements vectored? if the styles are produced using handrawn art than chances are vectored construction may not be possible and you'll have to make colour alterations as people did with the vb3 pack using the saturation & hue adjustments layers which results in colours looking washed out and often overlapping images onto whitespace resulting in quality loss. Some designers if not most will not like the hard work they put in destroyed and themselves or their work made to look bad when clients result in conducting this method of alteration on their work.

Anyway, feel like I'm rambling here but something you should consider asking any designer when your asking for source files.

ps. and if you want fully vectored versions of styles and their elements I've seen many top sites charge 3-5 times more because normally whenever you get truly editable source files the designer is basically either giving you full rights or has sold the project to the client as a one off sale.

Reactions: Kim
ps. and if you want fully vectored versions of styles and their elements I've seen many top sites charge 3-5 times more because normally whenever you get truly editable source files the designer is basically either giving you full rights or has sold the project to the client as a one off sale.
This is indeed a very good point. I think there is a way to provide a client with enough of the design elements to allow them to customize to their needs without giving away intellectual property (which I agree isn't a good idea). You also make good points about the quality of the files one might be delivered and it's always a good idea to ask exactly what state the psd's are in when considering a purchase.

Reactions: Kim
Top Bottom