Add-on [PAID] Multiple XF Single Sign-on Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Parsons

I would like to have a single sign-on solution made for multiple XF installations.

I am not sure how easy or hard that will be from a developer viewpoint, though it would need atleast:
  • Ability to initially sync from all boards and infer some type of manual / automatic overwrite method for same users across multiple existing forums.
  • I would imagine this would require two addon's, one for the master, then another addon installed into all slaves.
  • Ability to sign-in from any board URL (so multiple sync to all slaves after registration)
  • No interference for user permissions (being they remain on a per installation basis)
I'm sure there are more points... and/or suggestions from others.

Basically, I want to be able to sign-in on any forum, and once signed in, I can use the other forums with the same user login details. Not sure how the register would work... whether all sites are redirected to the master site for registration, then redirected back to the referring site on completion... obviously must factor in email confirmation and such.

I want to be able to control each forum uniquely though for usergroup and user permissions.

Can it be done and how much? Also, I would like the developer to support the mod here freely for everyone to use.

BBPixel doesn't look all that enticing to be perfectly honest, compared with what I would like. I'm sure a developer here with excellent knowledge of XF could come up with a single sign-on solution without too much effort.

Would all these forums be located on different domains? If so an openauth implementation would probably be a good idea, as that would open up integration to all kinds of platforms. The addon itself would be pretty simple, depending on how complex you want it to be and whether the available openauth libraries have suitable licenses for you, which I'd imagine they do.

I would be interested in this as well. Having a "network" username or login at least would be nice when having multiple forums. Not having to register again would be beneficial to the users and would allow one to have some sort of branding that signify that the forum is part of a larger network of forums.

How about just a simple Wordpress to Xenforo single sign-on solution? People login via Wordpress then are also automatically signed into Xenforo? Seems a simple add-on yet no developers seem to be interested in this? We have addons here for logging into Xenforo then being logged into Wordpress, but what if you are already using Wordpress's user system and plugins that make use of Wordpress's user database? A simple sync between the two mirroring each other's users would be great.

I would like to have a single sign-on solution made for multiple XF installations.

I am not sure how easy or hard that will be from a developer viewpoint, though it would need atleast:
  • Ability to initially sync from all boards and infer some type of manual / automatic overwrite method for same users across multiple existing forums.
  • I would imagine this would require two addon's, one for the master, then another addon installed into all slaves.
  • Ability to sign-in from any board URL (so multiple sync to all slaves after registration)
  • No interference for user permissions (being they remain on a per installation basis)
I'm sure there are more points... and/or suggestions from others.

Basically, I want to be able to sign-in on any forum, and once signed in, I can use the other forums with the same user login details. Not sure how the register would work... whether all sites are redirected to the master site for registration, then redirected back to the referring site on completion... obviously must factor in email confirmation and such.

I want to be able to control each forum uniquely though for usergroup and user permissions.

Can it be done and how much? Also, I would like the developer to support the mod here freely for everyone to use.

I would also love the ability to sync/network my multiple forums.. All are Dog related.. We also have some big plans in the near future that are on hold until a plugin like this is available. +1 Anthony.

How about just a simple Wordpress to Xenforo single sign-on solution? People login via Wordpress then are also automatically signed into Xenforo? Seems a simple add-on yet no developers seem to be interested in this? We have addons here for logging into Xenforo then being logged into Wordpress, but what if you are already using Wordpress's user system and plugins that make use of Wordpress's user database? A simple sync between the two mirroring each other's users would be great.

I think most of us in this thread though are looking for a solution to allow same login across multiple forums. Also login in Xenforo then wordpress was done as imo, I like the Xenforo user system better than wordpress.

How about just a simple Wordpress to Xenforo single sign-on solution?
You could create your own add-on request thread for that... as I don't care about Wordpress. This thread is about XF multi-sync single login ability, not third party softwares.

There is already a single-signon for WP + XF via XF, if you go look for it in the addon section, as I used it once when trialling WP... but ditched it soon after.

I'm simply wondering how the backend will work. Will there be a master db or will we simply choose a forum? I'll simply include the questions I put in the conversation:

• Will there be a universal login with different usernames on each site?
  • Or universal user across the sites with the same user permissions?
  • What happens if a user is already registered on both forums? Will it merge the account or link them??
  • Will this work across databases? Across servers?
  • What about support? Will it be supported for any space after it is completed? If Xenforo were to break this, will the developer charge for updates or would this be included?

I am very interested in this plugin and if offered for $40 with possible updates if it breaks then I'll gladly purchase it, obviously depending on the feature set which I'm sure will turn out fine.

I'm simply wondering how the backend will work. Will there be a master db or will we simply choose a forum? I'll simply include the questions I put in the conversation:

I am very interested in this plugin and if offered for $40 with possible updates if it breaks then I'll gladly purchase it, obviously depending on the feature set which I'm sure will turn out fine.

I have yet to scope out the exact roadmap for the addon and it's not decided yet whether I will be making the addon, so keep that in mind. To answer your questions (based on how I envision it right now);
  • There will be one "master" db (forum), all other forums will have an addon installed that needs to be configured to connect to the master db (pretty much just supply the url to the master forum). The master forum will need to be configured to whitelist these slave forums.
  • If users already exist; that's really a design decision, feel free to voice your opinion. If the email matches it could simply merge the accounts and send the user a notification, if it doesn't; one will need to reset his username. Needless to say I'll have to address this properly if this is to be a paid addon.
  • Across servers; yes.
  • Support & updates, I will set up support forums and provide updates when XenForo is updated. If XenForo receives a major update that requires a large portion of the addon to be recoded I will have to charge for the update (simply writing code alone doesn't pay my bills ..), but I'll try to make it worth your while by means of new features or improved functionality.
Again, this is all speculation at this point, nothing is set in stone yet.

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds good so far. Hope you will be able to take it on! :)

Edit: noticed you were considering extending it to 3rd party applications. Would you consider MediaWiki as one?

We'll I'm in for something like this. Already mentioned it in private to a bunch of people.

We'd definitely need it to flag up multiple accounts and an option to merge them together would be best, but when that was done I think it should auto email the account owner telling them of the change. Especially if they had a different username to the one on the master database.

We are looking for another two people who are willing to commit to the development of this product, for $310 each.

The total development is $1900, and it uses OpenID to authenticate across multiple XF installations, and complete syncing between master slave relationships. It is coded by an extremely professional developer who has extensive knowledge of the Zend framework and XF architecture, providing a secure single sign-on solution.

Those who commit to the development obtain some additional benefits as the product matures in the coming years and is sold by the developer as an addon, thus limiting your long term costs compared to those who purchase at the developers per license or equivalent cost they choose to sell the product upon.

Using OpenID can allow those who wish to also group together later, say for a Wordpress group, to simply have a slave add-on developed for WP that will sync with multiple XF installations, and so forth.

If we can get an additional two parties to help with the funding, then XF will have a single sign-on solution for use across multiple XF installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom