Add-on [PAID] Multiple XF Single Sign-on Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes no problem at all. The addon does not require any initial script to be ran as synchronisation happens on-demand. Users whose usernames are already taken on a master / slave site will be required to register manually, but as long as their email address matches on all installs they will still be able to profit from the SSO capabilities.

I will add a sync script later on for those who prefer it that way, but it won't be in the first release, as I personally find the stated solution much friendlier for end-users.
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. Really appreciate it and am looking forward to your work :)

I can say that I am excited about this... and currently running what I believe to be a stable working version of this across my network... So far, absolutely excellent product that has a very bright future ahead of it for development. Works with standard XF registration, and any site can be https, or combination of sites, without issue.

We certainly employed the right man for the job to build this.

I can say that I am excited about this... and currently running what I believe to be a stable working version of this across my network... So far, absolutely excellent product that has a very bright future ahead of it for development. Works with standard XF registration, and any site can be https, or combination of sites, without issue.

We certainly employed the right man for the job to build this.
That's great news!

I'm eagerly anticipating this release. I have an existing network of sites, which currently sync with Wordpress. There are probably a good number of users who already have accounts at multiple sites and plenty of duplicate usernames. Looking forward to understanding how this plugin manages the initial sync and if it requires all the forums be on the same server. An affordable installation/setup service would be helpful, when dealing with matters of mySQL dbs.

Also curious what happens if the plugin is removed at any time.

The server really has nothing to do with it, as it uses OpenID to validate the domains, not servers, through an authentication process using a public and private key, as well as you must manually approve the domains to connect by entering them into the master, and entering the master domain at the slave.

If you disable a site from using the SSO, it just simply stops that site using SSO. If you uninstall it, then it simply removes the SSO tables, you delete the files and nothing further is an issue.

When you register on any one site, you are registered on that site only, not your network. A user can then login on any network site using the registered sites details. When they do that the first time, they then become registered on the other site with those basic XF account details used during registration. In other words, they become a valid registered member.

If they don't login on another network site at all, then they're never registered on that site.

Hope that explains uninstalling implications... pretty much, means there aren't any and each site reverts to whoever is registered on that site, so be it... otherwise, they can no longer use SSO to instantly register onto a network site.

A user can then login on any network site using the registered sites details
Hopefully the "sister sites" will let users know (in the Login area) they can use the login and password from the first site.

Here are 2 ideas about what I mean:

multiple.XF.SSO.solutions.webp

Do the people who want this addon *MUCH PREFER* users to use the same login and password on all the sites ? Obviously many people will just make new accounts on all the sites .... is this a problem ? What if someone tries to register at a second site with the login name of someone else that already exists the first site ? Will that name be rejected unless they know the corresponding password ?

This is not included in the first release to my knowledge, though it may in future.

The purpose was to get a stable release that performed SSO first, focused on main error corrections found in registrations, etc. I know Nathan has planned features already in the pipeline, none of which I could tell you about, as they are for him to introduce as he see's fit when he chooses to release his product.

I think it is a good idea DD (idea 2) and one that you could just simply add a text notice with the logos of the other sites to the login form to remind a user that they can

Hopefully the "sister sites" will let users know (in the Login area) they can use the login and password from the first site.

Here are 2 ideas about what I mean:

View attachment 27651

Do the people who want this addon *MUCH PREFER* users to use the same login and password on all the sites ? Obviously many people will just make new accounts on all the sites .... is this a problem ? What if someone tries to register at a second site with the login name of someone else that already exists the first site ? Will that name be rejected unless they know the corresponding password ?
Easy template edit for me. Clicking on logo brings user to registration screen and any forum with that logo allows my users to know that it's part of the "network"

YzIZT.png

6aBaW.png

Easy template edit for me. Clicking on logo brings user to registration screen and any forum with that logo allows my users to know that it's part of the "network"

6aBaW.png

If someone chose [Indie Gamers Network Long] ... that means they've said they have a login ... thus
"Do you already have an account" is confusion and redundant.
So is "Forgot your password".
Strip those out ?

Improving the very awkward Xenforo login is a good thing, not a bad thing :)

I think it is a good idea DD (idea 2) and one that you could just simply add a text notice with the logos of the other sites to the login form to remind a user that they can
I also think the logos can be advertising about the existence of other forums .... right to the person you want .... a new joiner !

Spam issues ... hmmmmmm ... might get tricky !!!
One spam sign up could spam all the forums !!!
hmmmmm..

Being infected by the joindiaspora project (https://joindiaspora.com), I like the idea that users can have friends from different domains where webmasters or admins are using the same software without signing up on that particular site. This means that I can see the activity stream of a friend, send private messages to my friend & comment on his status updates without ever leaving my site eventhough my friend is on a different domain.

This feature is like magic & I would think that such a software could grow strong very rapidly because users benefit from it a lot. Just think about how many times you had to sign up at different vbulletin sites because you wanted to get involved in a particular topic.

Sounds like you want this addon !

Can I still get in on the action for this? I'd happily throw some money into the pit. This would solve something I've been looking into.

Otherwise, who do I bribe for a test-copy of the add-on?

Otherwise, who do I bribe for a test-copy of the add-on?
No, you can't get in on it now.

No, you can't bribe anyone for a test copy.... sorry. Nathan has said he will be releasing it in the near future and whatever cost and terms he decides. The stable version has only just been released, which I still haven't tested yet.

I was hoping to do it tonight, but looks like a weekend job.

Obviously many people will just make new accounts on all the sites .... is this a problem ?
The SSO uses email addresses... so if you register on another site using the same email, it will not allow it...

I have no doubt there are untested aspects with the stable version, though once it gets wider usage more issues will get worked out.

I am running it on my network live, and had no issues from any new registrations yet. Everything you have raised has been thought about and tested already.

It is only existing users that you could have a few issues with. The slaves have a sync function to the master, thus you can quickly identify any existing users on slaves who may have issues with their username on other sites, i.e. in use or under age on another site, etc.

I do like a simple hooked field into the registration panel that allows you to enter the network site names. That would be an efficient action IMHO to lessen any confusion with trying to register on another network site.

I will read through this and test all specific points again, individually, this weekend to provide an answer to what exactly happens when you do x and try y, and so forth.

Hi guys, just a quick update - the addon itself has currently been released to a few people and appears to be working very well (judged by the fact that I haven't had any serious bugs reported to me). I plan on releasing it as a paid addon in about 2 weeks as I still have to select a license for it and set up the payment platform and support site.

The addon only provides the mechanics needed for Single Sign On, it does not make any aesthetic changes to your forums what so ever. If you want to make your users aware of the ability for them to sign on with their "network login" that will be up to you to modify your templates in a way to reflect that.

I am open to including ways of easing this task or including default generic placeholders, but I fear this will be more of an annoyance than anything else, as I expect that those who will be using this addon will have very particular tastes for how to customize their forums / network already.

Naatan, once you have your 'support site' setup I'm sure that folks will post suggestions on how to enhance the look and inform folks of the single sign on option :)

Keepin' an eye on this ;)

I have not yet tested the current final myself, however; those who want to test it out can use my test environment to do so for a brief period of time before I lock it up again. I just installed the stable version on the master and slaves.

The master site is: http://seotesting.com

Two slave sites are: http://ptsdnews.com & http://ptsdnews.org

You can test out your theories and see what happens. If it provides an error, please tell me about it here so I can check the error log on it and whether it needs to be reported as a bug to Nathan or not for further testing prior to him releasing it as a paid product.

Too bad, I could not test ist ;( It is locked again.

However, will it be possible to use the SSO only with xenFORO sites or can I also use other CMSes like Drupal or Wordpress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom