• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[Paid Mod] Bookmarks

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Syndol

Bookmarks 1.0.8
About:
Bookmarks is away to conveniently display a link to content of thread and profile posts you find informative or otherwise interesting.
This saves you the hassle of rampaging through multiple threads or multiple pages in order to locate that single post you wanted to have a second look at.
This add-on requires your browser's JavaScript to be enabled in order to have all feature work correctly.
Currently installed on many large forums with no reported issues.

Price:
The price is only $30 which is great value for money, and entitles you to use this add-on on one (1) XenForo installation only.
Payment by PayPal only. Once purchased, this add-on may not be resold, distributed, or copied in whole or in part.
Please contact me via PC for further details.
Thank you.

Features:
  • To save a bookmark, click the 'Bookmark' link located at the bottom of each thread post or profile post. Each bookmark may include a note to remind yourself as to why you decided to bookmark it in the first place.
  • These bookmarks are displayed on the user's Account page where they may be viewed, edited, or deleted.
  • Bookmarks display a note, a snippet of the post message, as well as an overlay of the post. Each bookmark contains:
    • Optional note to self.
    • Post message snippet which may include thumbnails of any attachments.
    • An overlay with the post message (without attachments), thus removing the need to physically go to the post in question. This overlay is triggered when the note to self or message snippet are clicked.
    • Links to the post author, the post, and the thread or profile it belongs to.
    • Thread name may include a preview tooltip and thread prefix. This option is set in the ACP.
  • Shared bookmarks. Option to share bookmarks with other members. Shared bookmarks are displayed via a tab on the member profile page.
  • Organise bookmarks using Tags. These tags are used to filter the bookmark list on the Account page.
  • Receive an alert whenever a bookmarked post status is changed. Option to receive an alert whenever a bookmarked post is deleted, edited, merged with another, or moved to a forum which the bookmark creator cannot view. All alerts provide a pop-up overlay of the post. Even bookmarked posts which get deleted provide this overlay of the deleted post contents so you may have one last look at it. These alert preferences may be set by each member via their Account page.
  • Display selected bookmarks in a quick link navigation tab. Option to display selected bookmarks as a list for quick access via a navigation tab.
  • User group permissions - specify which group may bookmark. Limit by general usergroup or node by node.
  • Daily Stats - keep track of how many posts your members actually bookmark.
  • Does not affect the XenForo 'user' or 'post' MySQL tables so can easily be added to, or removed from, large boards.
  • Add-on is fully phrased.
Mechanics:
  • Should a post that has been saved as a bookmark be deleted (whether 'soft' or 'hard'), the bookmark item will also be deleted.
  • Should a post be moved to a thread its creator cannot view, the bookmark item will be deleted.
  • Should a post be merged with another which the bookmark creator cannot view, the bookmark item will be deleted.
  • Should a thread be moved to a different category, or merged with another thread, which the bookmark creator cannot view, the bookmark item will be deleted.
  • Should a user limit his/her profile page causing the bookmark creator to not be able to view it, the profile post bookmark item will be deleted.
  • Should a User be deleted, all bookmark items created by that member will be deleted, however, all bookmark items that belong to other users and link to content created by the now deleted member will remain (as XenForo does not delete their posts).
  • A cron entry is included to check for deleted users or content - this may occur if the add-on is disabled for any period of time. This cron runs once a month but only if the add-on was disabled.
Installation:
  • Upload the 'library/Bookmarks' folder to your 'library' folder on your server
  • Upload the 'js/bookmarks' folder to your 'js' folder on your server
  • From within your admin control panel's 'Development' tab, import the included .xml file ('addon-bookmarks.xml')
  • From within your admin control panel's 'Home' tab, click 'Options' and select 'Bookmarks'
    • Here you may set the option to share bookmarks, as well as a few other options.
  • From within your admin control panel's 'Users' tab, click 'User Group Permissions'. Select the user group you wish to give Bookmarking privileges to. There are three permissions that need to be set:
    • The first is under 'General Permissions' and is named 'Use Bookmarks Feature'
      • Since permission may be set at forum level, this ensures that users who do have bookmarking permission somewhere may still view their bookmarks on their account and profile pages, navigation tab, as well as receive alerts.
    • The second is under 'Forum Permissions' and is named 'Bookmark Thread Posts'
      • Gives the user permission to bookmark thread posts.
    • The third is under 'Profile Post Permissions' and is named 'Bookmark Profile Posts'
      • Gives the user permission to bookmark profile posts.
Notify your members that they may set their Bookmarks alert options on their Account's alert preferences page (only if you opted to permit this in step 4 above).

Translations:

Attachments

• 9_Options.webp
    9_Options.webp
    45 KB · Views: 305
  • 10_NavTab_List.webp
    10_NavTab_List.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 11_UserGroup_Permissions.webp
    11_UserGroup_Permissions.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 4_Shared_Bookmarks.webp
    4_Shared_Bookmarks.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 1_Bookmarks.webp
    1_Bookmarks.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 2_Edit.webp
    2_Edit.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 8_Alert_Preferences.webp
    8_Alert_Preferences.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 5_Save.webp
    5_Save.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 3_Overlay_Links.webp
    3_Overlay_Links.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 6_Bookmark_Links.webp
    6_Bookmark_Links.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 7_Alerts.webp
    7_Alerts.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 12_Daily_Stats.webp
    12_Daily_Stats.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 73
Thanks Brogan.

The8thLegion - apart from the look of the bookmarks, this one has inline edit, stickies, profile post bookmarks, post overlay, and alerts.

Thanks Brogan.

The8thLegion - apart from the look of the bookmarks, this one has inline edit, stickies, profile post bookmarks, post overlay, and alerts.
For your next version can you consider adding a tumblr-like reblogging feature for the bookmarks? For instance, if a member sees a book mark on someone else's profile, they can click on it and it goes on their profile as well? Without them having to view the actual thread?

Another cool feature suggestion would be the ability to comment bookmarks.

For your next version can you consider adding a tumblr-like reblogging feature for the bookmarks? For instance, if a member sees a book mark on someone else's profile, they can click on it and it goes on their profile as well? Without them having to view the actual thread?
If enough people request this, I could certainly add this option.

Another cool feature suggestion would be the ability to comment bookmarks.
I think that is a little beyond the scope of this add-on.

I was going to make an add-on to do this but after looking at the screenshots it does everything I had planned to the quality I would want so there is now no point :) You have just joined the very short list of developers in this community who I feel are actually up to the XenForo standard. Just from looking at the screenshots.

Here are some questions...
Are you using your own handlers for each type of thing you can bookmark?
How do you buy it?
Are you someone who takes client work or can work with someone else?

Good work!

Robbo - Thanks for the comment above.

Are you using your own handlers for each type of thing you can bookmark?
How do you buy it?
Are you someone who takes client work or can work with someone else?

1). Yes, I use my own handlers for that.
2). Since I do not have a website set up for this purpose, I was hoping to provide my PayPal email for payment and once received I will email the Zip file to the purchaser.
3). I do if it is something I think I can accomplish, is interesting, or is worth my while :)

Robbo - Thanks for the comment above.

1). Yes, I use my own handlers for that.
2). Since I do not have a website set up for this purpose, I was hoping to provide my PayPal email for payment and once received I will email the Zip file to the purchaser.
3). I do if it is something I think I can accomplish, is interesting, or is worth my while :)
1) Sounds like you actually know what you are doing... it's so refreshing to see!
2) I never had anything setup for my mods so just have forums setup with user upgrades to purchase them on mercenarydesign.net. If you want I would be able to set something up on there for you and put some stuff up to make it obvious it isn't a mercenarydesign product, new style or something to have your own stuff. If interested just PC me.
3) Cool, will take an inquiries with you about it to PC when they come up :)

This does look cool. [+watch]

How about a quickie youtube video showing why it's a useful thing for people to have.
Although the screenshots help, a video in the first post would help seal the deal for people.

I'm afraid that is beyond my technological abilities
Yea. coding is easy ... but clicking [Record] then [stop] is hard ! :)
http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html
- use the free version.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Besides, I would have to hire someone with a sexy female voice to do that.
for Version 2 ?

Version 2 will have Apple's Siri read the bookmarks out loud for you :D

I know the old Post-It mod has now been removed but I still have it so I was wondering if anyone that knew that one, could tell me any extra benefits of this one compared to Post-It which was free...thanks

I know the old Post-It mod has now been removed but I still have it so I was wondering if anyone that knew that one, could tell me any extra benefits of this one compared to Post-It which was free...thanks
Syndol made that one too I believe :)
Oh wait, he made thread ban.
Nevermind.
Post-It is unlikely to be compatible going forward as it isn't being developed.

isnt this mod essentially 'post-it'?
there is no mention of an upgrade path, but its the same hack and the same author, so...
we are still using post-it and havent had any reason to change it out yet.

If enough people request this, I could certainly add this option.

I think that is a little beyond the scope of this add-on.
If you do it, you'll pretty much have brought Tumblr to Xenforo because that's what that site is famous for. Those features alone are worth $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom