Add-on Paid 1500$/2000$ - Multisite CMS Addon for Xenforo

I can't imagine XenForo would ever get involved with a third party, for various reasons.

Sounds reasonable - only case I could see would be if a developer spun up something amazing and then the XF guys bought it. That stuff is done regularly with many tech companies - from the smallest up to Apple.

But it would have to be quite a fine implementation! And, the XF team would have to have a war chest....even a small one...to do it.

Sounds reasonable - only case I could see would be if a developer spun up something amazing and then the XF guys bought it. That stuff is done regularly with many tech companies - from the smallest up to Apple.

But it would have to be quite a fine implementation! And, the XF team would have to have a war chest....even a small one...to do it.
After doing a bunch of dev and trying to do nothing else but that to furnish a living as an experiment I can tell you that 1500 or 2000 is not going to cover a rock solid cms system....like that's not even ballpark. Not just because it is a large addon (basically a whole second integrated application), but because the amount of time it takes to support all of the purchasers. There are developers who are way better suited to make this and would deliver a way stronger product than me, and I personally if selling the ownership rights (for distribution) of the code for something like this would not do it for less than 10000 and assuming it took me six months while doing nothing else to build this...that assumes 20000 a year average for my salary which is just above slumming it here.

Either way I prefaced with that to explain how I derived at the equation that it would take 200 licenses being sold at 100 a piece with a 35 dollar a year support fee it to be worth me even making it. I'm pretty sure that devs who have been in the game for over a decade and seriously got their chit together would be seeking higher profits than I who would be gauging the minimum needed for this project to float as they could provide their decade+ of experience to supporting the project and I would just be happy to get compensated fairly for what I like doing.

End of the day, if one person writes this...I don't think it would be worth less than 20K to them to just give someone else control of the project and that is the low side assuming the end product holds up to the core product it was built on top of.

Lol no offense, but if anyone asked for $10-$20k for an "addon" I would walk away ASAP.

I know coders who've done really nice stand alone systems for the same price.

Curious to hear from a programmer about what this really needs...

Use a non displayed node as an article system, add it to the nav as a tab, add the HTML editor so the threads look nice like blogs and add moderate first thread for non trusted groups or set that node as admin only, pull data from the db to display info and use a widget created front page setup with the index route, add permission settings if needed, and...widgets on sidebar?

With exception of HTML editor to get prettier posts, couldn't this all be done with addons already if we just got the basic forum editor replaced with an HTML editor that's for admins only and a nice front page possibly created by widgets or a nicer portal?

Is it worth experimenting with an HTML editor first, and seeing if we can piece it together nicely with what's already available?

Last edited:
Lol no offense, but if anyone asked for $10-$20k for an "addon" I would walk away ASAP.

You misunderstand the point completely...

The direction the thread was going, people suggested someone making and selling this as a solid product fully integrated into xf with a pretty rich feature set and for a professional familiar with MVC OOP who codes in php for a living, they can not put the effort and time it takes into the project for 1500 - 2000 and still make a living. The value of a product doesn't change if you pay more or less for it...that comes down to how it is marketed...in the end the cost to develop the product would remain the same regardless to if it was sold to one person..a limited group of 5 people or available publicly all at different prices...the programmer would obviously be trying to target a number no matter how they sold it...if they sold the rights to it completely they have to calculate the potential of what it will earn right now + what it can earn lets say over the course of 5 or 10 years before they could negotiate a price for the sale of it to someone who can market it properly.

I myself have made a automated front page replacement system built on top of the WFw which replaces a blog or another front page system and it does the job pretty damn well too and I did it for what equaled out to about the amount in the thread title suggests if you factor in that I did other things as well for one total price when applying this to their site. However I also customized it for their needs and it was done in a way that is not a simple one or two click install so it is not a product that is ready for a marketplace but is perfectly fine when dealing one on one with people.

What I am getting at is for a developer to make something that XF would even remotely consider purchasing the sole rights to free and clear, it is going to have to be of a caliber that makes it impossible for it to be a $1500 or $2000 product. Think of XF, you don't own xf when you buy a license, you own just that...a license for a copy that you buy for $140 a unit.

I am talking about a professional developer is going to think of units sold and cost per unit and try to gauge the market they have that can use their product and figure out if the project is doable by them. Since a proper CMS is in it's own right a whole application = in the amount of work it does to a forum and since a proper cms built specifically for xf basically means building it on top of xf using it's permissions etc ...it would take much time to develop properly for what is a software specific application that requires an amount of work that is probably pretty close to what it took to develop xf in the first place who's only potential market is xenforo customers present and future.

The developer would have to feel fairly compensated for the work they did and be able to make a living doing it like any other job...if a professional php programmer works a 50 hour week doing nothing but coding a single thing they are going to get paid for once as an independent person...that at the minimum is 1500 dollars. I don't care who you are you are not coding a CMS that is worthy of becoming a core product in a week which is = to saying that I don't think any solid cms product is going to surface where the programer is happy with accepting 1500-2000 for a full on cms and this based on knowing what it would take to make one gauged against things I have done myself.

I hope you better understand my point now.

Last edited:
Official xenforo staff should make it! Id put my money into that.

I respect you opinion, but personally i can't wait a year or more to see if *maybe* a official CMS would be released ...there are no guarantee of this (I'm sure that a Xenforo would be released, but it can be after 2 years). Also i don't know if the official CMS would reflect my need (example: vbulletin and IPB have an official cms, and i dislike both!).

Crowd funding....no thanks. There's no chance I'm putting money into something that can't be tested first or may not suit my needs when it's finished.

I think we can create a successfully crowfund if we take it seriously. Example, we have not only to found the "right" coder, but also to be very very specific about features we need and take examples of it with live sites and screens of what we need...and we need to discuss it.

Thanks to this topic i have understood new things that first i don't know (thanks to @Alfa1 and @Moshe1010), so i think that if a sufficient number of persons will share their ideas and thought we will create a wonderful product.

We quickly talked very PM, but you could do what I mentioned that I'll be doing and that is code your own submission area/ticket system-type-deal for people to submit articles and for your writers to write the articles. By doing so, you can likely allow html editors without much of a security risk.

I'm not interested in an addon like Xenporta/Extraportal...you have said that you need an addon that uses the XF Framework, for me that it's not sufficient due to the limits of this addon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom