[OzzModz] RSS Feed Filter

[OzzModz] RSS Feed Filter 2.0.6

No permission to download
PS. Your example this,word,will has the commas touching the words, but your screenshot doesn't. Does this matter?

A quick question for this add-on. I know it can filter for single words...can it also do multi-word phrases?

For example...if I wanted an RSS article to only be posted if it contained words as a phrase like:

Albert Einstein
Ford Mustang
Jumbo Shrimp

If this is possible...is there any special way it needs to be added to the Filter Keywords area of the add-on?

In vBulletin...multi-word phrases like this needed to be placed inside double quotes to work properly...like "Ford Mustang" "Albert Einstein" "Jumbo Shrimp".

Thanks

p.s. I see post #43 above asked this question & post #44 says yes.:)

Ok thanks. I'll try to look at things closely & see if I can verify...and report back here.

I've done this sort of thing in the past with RSS filtering by keyword...and sometimes/many times...RSS articles seem to get through the keyword filter without any of the keywords being in the RSS article. Which I always found sort of perplexing.;)

Thanks

Ok thanks. I'll try to look at things closely & see if I can verify...and report back here.
It'll work fine, just enter each phrase in the "filter keywords" box with a comma between each when using multiple phrases for the same feed. At run time each phrase separated by a comma is then searched as a literal.

For example, if you only want to have a feed imported if it contains "ford mustang" or "ford raptor" or "bronco" then you could use ford mustang,ford raptor,bronco as your filter keywords.

For example, if you only want to have a feed imported if it contains "ford mustang" or "ford raptor" or "bronco" then you could use ford mustang,ford raptor,bronco as your filter keywords.
Awesome...this is exactly what I was hoping to get clarification on. This is exactly how I have things setup at the moment...great to know it works.:)

I have some "grumpy" members who have nothing better to do than complain when some RSS articles are from Pluto (way off forum topic)!;)

Thanks

It'll work fine, just enter each phrase in the "filter keywords" box with a comma between each when using multiple phrases for the same feed. At run time each phrase separated by a comma is then searched as a literal.

Thank you for verifying that @Kevin

I have some "grumpy" members who have nothing better to do than complain when some RSS articles are from Pluto (way off forum topic)!;)
I know that feeling well. :D Something that's been on my To Do list for a while is now is to do a private fork (or bug Ozzy47 & Snog one day :LOL: )of this to include an "Exclude filter keywords" to further fine tune what gets picked up. On our photography site we often end up with posts that pass that keywords filter list because we're using common words like 'camera' but get junk that we don't want like posts about games & screensavers. Even though it's been explained that it's an automated post there are still some grumbling from folks about the unwanted 'spam' posts. Ideally then we'd have 'camera' (and our other keywords) in the 'filter keywords' value but then have stuff like 'games,screensavers,wallpaper' and so on in a 'exclude filter keywords' value.

What I’ve seen people do is import the feeds into a staff forum, then move the ones they want out into the public forum and trash the junk ones.

Something that's been on my To Do list for a while is now is to do a private fork (or bug Ozzy47 & Snog one day :LOL: )of this to include an "Exclude filter keywords" to further fine tune what gets picked up.
Ahh...that does sound like an awesome way of further refining the RSS article process! I think the more forum topic specific the RSS articles are...the better.

Right now I have about 5 RSS feeds...and let's say (from previous RSS filtering experience)...20-25% of them are probably still kinda off-topic for my forum. With using an "RSS Exclude Filter"...if the off-topic RSS articles could be cut down to say 10%...I could more activate more RSS feeds with more forum-correct info...and less off-topic!:)

What I’ve seen people do is import the feeds into a staff forum, then move the ones they want out into the public forum and trash the junk ones.
That's a creative way of doing it.:)

More work for staff...but also less member complaining. Lol

The trouble with an exclude list is a very good feed might get missed because it has an excluded phrase in it.

That's a creative way of doing it.:)

More work for staff...but also less member complaining. Lol
The trouble with an exclude list is a very good feed might get missed because it has an excluded phrase in it.
It's definitely something that'd need to be done with some thought but for the use cases where a person knows it'd come in handy it'd make life easier than doing manual post moves.

Of course, on the other hand, I tend to over design my stuff so there's at least dozen other options I could add to make my life easier that nobody else would use so it's likely a good thing I don't have too much free time. 🤣

I definitely like the RSS feeds to a Staff area idea...then staff scans & moves to the appropriate place for members. Less automated/more work for staff...but way better RSS feed quality.:)

I definitely like the RSS feeds to a Staff area idea...then staff scans & moves to the appropriate place for members. Less automated/more work for staff...but way better RSS feed quality.:)

Yeah, that is the feedback I’ve received from customers, they say their feeds are improved so they find it worth the extra bit of time.

Top Bottom