[OzzModz] Breadcrumb Essentials

[OzzModz] Breadcrumb Essentials 2.0.0

No permission to download

Nulumia

Nulumia submitted a new resource:

Breadcrumb Essentials - Adds useful Style Properties to customize your breadcrumb, XF1 appearance, hide/show & locations!

xenforo-2-addon-breadcrumb-essentials-preview_01.jpg

Breadcrumb Essentials for Xenforo 2 adds numerous popular and requested features by the Xenforo community! Finally, you can customize your breadcrumb with useful Style Properties which have been missing in XF2. You can now also enable the Xenforo 1 breadcrumb appearance - by popular request! Breadcrumb Essentials also gives you full control over where you'd like to display...

Read more about this resource...

Roadmap for next releases:
  • Clean up and optimize CSS a bit
  • Add more control to the custom right content in the breadcrumb (move link into it's own button, user defined conditionals, etc)
  • Add optional "Post New Thread" button next to breadcrumb
  • Hide from x usergroup / logged-out
  • Implement user suggestions
In consideration:

The current method of hiding/showing the breadcrumb on different pages is handled via Style Properties and CSS. Based on feedback, I may move this out of Appearance and into an admin option group instead. Further, I may bypass using CSS and handle via the page controller itself, keeping things more efficient.

Page locations:

The Ecommerce locations currently affect @DragonByte Tech's Ecommerce, but I will extend this to Dragonbyte Shop, [XFA] Resource Marketplace and @Andy's Shopping cart.

I am looking to extend Article locations from XenPorta to Article Management System (AMS) by @Bob

Chat settings currently cover Chat & Shoutbox pages by @Siropu.

Thanks for the likes on the resource everyone, as it does help to let me know people find the idea useful/interesting.

Please feel free to leave feedback or how it works with your theme. Documentation is also coming soon.

Hello

Thank you for this addon.

Once installed, I can see that the breadcrumb has indeed changed.
But in the ACP, I noticed that the option page is empty and I don't know if it is normal
1577616202068.webp

What do you think?

Thanks

Nils

Hey Nils,
That's normal for now as all the settings are currently in Style Properties. The group you see in ACP is placeholder for some upcoming options - including if I decide it's best to move visibility settings there :-).

This is awesome.

It allows for a better appearance for seeing and/or technological impaired to navigate the forum. I'm sure, with this simple add-on (must've taken time to code though, I bet) there will be much more page views on the default layout. I am currently running it on my dev server with the default style (as my forum has the default style with some customizations) with no issues.

And it's even more awesome that you made this available for free.

I'd like to buy you a Starbucks (or beer), if I could, once this is out of beta as I believe it rates that much at least (from me, for as long as you keep it free and as is).

PS: Looks like you can cross this off the list because it seems to be working perfectly fine for Bob's AMS and RMS as well as XF's Calendar and Classifieds system (so should work all around, I suppose?).
I am looking to extend Article locations from XenPorta to Article Management System (AMS) by @Bob

@frm Thanks so much for the kind words! Glad you're running the addon well on your theme. I do have numerous paid addons in the works, so it would be nice to offer something free for Xenforo which can be enjoyed by anyone. Plus I've seen countless questions asking how to make simple CSS or Style Property changes after they were removed from XF2 - I was in this same situation before making the these :)

As for Bob's addons, well the global on/off settings should definitely work for any addon-related pages, however the Articles settings only affect pages with the "ewrPorta" class, so I'm not sure how they could affect any others. Could you confirm on this?

Reactions: frm
I'm only running Bob's stuff till the day he decides to stop making add ons for XF, so I can't confirm. :cool:
Oh I meant that I believe you said that the Article on/off settings were also working for AMS, and that I don't think that could be the case as they only apply to XenPorta templates. Not sure if I misunderstood your reply.

Reactions: frm
Thanks for this addon. I love the XF1 style breadcrumbs.

I encountered 2 bugs I believe.

1) When "Global" is hidden, but for example the "Discussion List" or "Thread View" is set to show instead of inherit, it still doesn't show up for me. Only when I enable it globally it shows up.

1577928805958.png

2) I have put my 2nd node on the navigation via the navigation manager. So people can access that node also via the navigation. In that case the node doesn't display the breadcrumb correctly. It only displays a home button, whereas all other nodes display a home button + category node they are in. Also the home button doesn't redirect you to the homepage like in all other cases, but it redirects you to the same page you are in.

Also a suggestion would be to make the breadcrumb 1 level further.
For example we can see here: Home > Forums > Main Category
I think it would be better if you could complete it to Home > Forums > Main Category > Main forum.
That way the last breadcrumb would always display the node one it is in. Right now it skips it and it looks odd.

1577929463969.png

But overall it is a great addon. Has a lot of settings, thank you very much.

Thanks for this addon. I love the XF1 style breadcrumbs.

I encountered 2 bugs I believe.

1) When "Global" is hidden, but for example the "Discussion List" or "Thread View" is set to show instead of inherit, it still doesn't show up for me. Only when I enable it globally it shows up.

View attachment 215947

2) I have put my 2nd node on the navigation via the navigation manager. So people can access that node also via the navigation. In that case the node doesn't display the breadcrumb correctly. It only displays a home button, whereas all other nodes display a home button + category node they are in. Also the home button doesn't redirect you to the homepage like in all other cases, but it redirects you to the same page you are in.

Also a suggestion would be to make the breadcrumb 1 level further.
For example we can see here: Home > Forums > Main Category
I think it would be better if you could complete it to Home > Forums > Main Category > Main forum.
That way the last breadcrumb would always display the node one it is in. Right now it skips it and it looks odd.

View attachment 215948

But overall it is a great addon. Has a lot of settings, thank you very much.
Thanks sbj for your feedback.
Regarding the first point, allow me to re-test a few combinations of show/hide settings and will post back with results and a patch if necessary.

For your second point, just want to make sure I'm understanding it clearly. Is the breadcrumb only showing the route incorrectly for the node that is included in the top navigation? As I would like to replicate this issue to find what's going on.

As for your suggestion, I'd love to include this as I feel allowing greater user control over breadcrumb depth/structure would be great :)

-Robert

Reactions: sbj
Thanks sbj for your feedback.
No, thank you for this addon. I'll leave also a feedback on the resource page soon.

Regarding the first point, allow me to re-test a few combinations of show/hide settings and will post back with results and a patch if necessary.
Ok, no problem. For my usecase I wanted to disable the top breadcrumb navigation everywhere except for threads. So inside of threads it should be displayed, outside of threads not. I also was testing how it would be like to have it on the thread list, but undecided about that. And it didn't work for me, if I didn't do any mistakes of course.

For your second point, just want to make sure I'm understanding it clearly. Is the breadcrumb only showing the route incorrectly for the node that is included in the top navigation? As I would like to replicate this issue to find what's going on.
If you want to replicate it, just go to the navigation manager: 1577931475264.png and add a node as link like:

1577931884816.png

And then see it for yourself how the breadcrumb looks like. In this example above I used the pre-sales node of XF as an example.

So, if I am not mistaken, normally when you are in a node, the breadcrumb displays the home button AND the category name the node is in. But for nodes which are used in the navigation, this is not the case. So it shows the route incorrectly as it skips the category name and only displays the home button (icon). And in addition to this, the home button doesn't link to the homepage, it links to the route of the node itself. Hope I could explain it.

As for your suggestion, I'd love to include this as I feel allowing greater user control over breadcrumb depth/structure would be great
Thanks a lot.

Hey sbj, thanks for your patience. So I've checked on two different installations and the visibility settings are working ok on this end, when I disable globally but select Show for Discussion/Thread View. I'm wondering if there's a style or addon conflict, is it possible you could PM me a link to your site so I can review?

Also I performed the same steps as you outlined above and couldn't replicate the node issue, including when making a custom navigation tab. In this example, I created a second node called "News & Announcements" and added a navigation item called "News" which also links to the node:
breadcrumb-node-test.webp

The breadcrumb shows correctly the Home/section/category structure. The "News" tab isn't selected obviously as any node will keep "Forums" active by default.

The issue with the home button is very strange, as my addon does not affect the home link in any way - it simply shows an icon via CSS. I'm wondering if this is a board URL/route issue, or addon conflict. Can you confirm the issue exists when the addon is disabled? Or if I could get temporary admin permissions to your forum (Options/Addons/Appearance) I could very quickly debug the issue.

-Robert I.

No problem, take your time, it is not that an urgent problem we have here :). Thanks for the support.

About the first case, I am not sure why it didn't work out for me, but I will make some further tests. I don't use any 3rd party styles, but maybe there are some addon issues I am not aware of. I will report back soon about it.

About the 2nd case and the node issue. I see that I forgot something. While looking at your screenshot I noticed a difference between your setup and mine which probably explains the issue. So, nice that you have created that navigation entry. What I forgot to tell you is which I didn't remember yesterday, that you should also go to ACP->Forums->Nodes->News and Announcements and change the navigation section to that newly created navigation "News".
In my example my node would have the section "Wiki" instead of the default section (which is default for all nodes unless you change it).
1577996183308.webp
1577996255006.webp

No problem, take your time, it is not that an urgent problem we have here :). Thanks for the support.

About the first case, I am not sure why it didn't work out for me, but I will make some further tests. I don't use any 3rd party styles, but maybe there are some addon issues I am not aware of. I will report back soon about it.

About the 2nd case and the node issue. I see that I forgot something. While looking at your screenshot I noticed a difference between your setup and mine which probably explains the issue. So, nice that you have created that navigation entry. What I forgot to tell you is which I didn't remember yesterday, that you should also go to ACP->Forums->Nodes->News and Announcements and change the navigation section to that newly created navigation "News".
In my example my node would have the section "Wiki" instead of the default section (which is default for all nodes unless you change it).
View attachment 215995
View attachment 215996
Thanks, I'll definitely try that setting and let you know. Regarding any possible addon conflict, you could easily check by viewing Appearance -> Template Modifications and see if there's any failed entries. For example to the right of a modification you may see a [ 0 | 1 | 0 ] or something similar, with the middle number being a failed merge. Always good to take a check over that page in general :)

I wasn't thinking that it is a template issue. I was thinking the logic could have been buggy. But testing further and more precise this time, I think I found why I made that report, which was an error from my side. So it works! Sorry for the wrong report!

The problem was, I installed the addon on my localhost first. And when you click on the navigation on localhost, it directs you to the live site. So, the settings were at the localhost but for the outcome I was looking at my live site and obviously couldn't see the results. At first, I saw the results, because I was looking at my site on my localhost. And while testing further I might have clicked on the navigation and landed on my live site and then this story.

So, all good, it works! Thanks and sorry for taking up your time.

I wasn't thinking that it is a template issue. I was thinking the logic could have been buggy. But testing further and more precise this time, I think I found why I made that report, which was an error from my side. So it works! Sorry for the wrong report!

The problem was, I installed the addon on my localhost first. And when you click on the navigation on localhost, it directs you to the live site. So, the settings were at the localhost but for the outcome I was looking at my live site and obviously couldn't see the results. At first, I saw the results, because I was looking at my site on my localhost. And while testing further I might have clicked on the navigation and landed on my live site and then this story.

So, all good, it works! Thanks and sorry for taking up your time.
Not taking up my time as every bit of feedback helps to ensure the addon works great and can evolve/update with improvements :-)

Let me know if you still experience the show/hide issue on your own end, while I'm prepping the next patch I'll be sure to check again here.

I was under the impression that the share icons were in fact set to be our social media links. That doesn't appear to be the case, so, I just reverted to XF1 style breadcrumbs without icons as it's so much better and easier to navigate.

I'd make 3 suggestions on improving this:
  1. Make the option for the icons to be of our own links or keep the same and as sharing with the option of 'moving them' as it is now.
  2. Select the breadcrumb position for sharing/social icons to be top, bottom or both.
  3. Center the sharing icons when they break away (or a tutorial on how to with CSS) as at a smaller viewport, if you only have 2-3 sharing buttons, it'll break and then align left. It looks somewhat awkward on a phone to have just 1 or 2 buttons right there as opposed to the center.
Other than that, if they're not included in a future update, it works great for me as is.

Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom