[oxy] News Portal [Paid] [Deleted]

Suggestion: use image of embedded media for portal, if no other inline image is available.

No. We have a lot of articles which use youtube videos instead of inline images or attachments.

Youtube provides you automatically with a fallback image (eg no flash), which could be used as article image for oxy news. See for example http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-thumbnail-image/

It would be great to show this image instead of nothing.

No. We have a lot of articles which use youtube videos instead of inline images or attachments.

Youtube provides you automatically with a fallback image (eg no flash), which could be used as article image for oxy news. See for example http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-thumbnail-image/

It would be great to show this image instead of nothing.

Ah I see.

I'll certainly take a look, but I don't want to make any promises at this stage. It really depends how easy it is to pick up the static image to display as the article image.

Reactions: gfc
Thank you for considering. For me that's the piece that's needed to use it as an article portal.

New version 1.12h has been uploaded, with the following changes:
  • Fixed articles not loading when "Show Articles That Only Contain Images" is checked and there are articles without images in the forums being pulled.
  • Fixed "ATTACH", "MEDIA" and "IMG" tags showing in article snippets.
  • NEW: (Experimental Feature) Added Option to fallback to Media Thumbnails (currently only Youtube) when no Image found.

New version 1.12h has been uploaded, with the following changes:
  • Fixed articles not loading when "Show Articles That Only Contain Images" is checked and there are articles without images in the forums being pulled.
  • Fixed "ATTACH", "MEDIA" and "IMG" tags showing in article snippets.
  • NEW: (Experimental Feature) Added Option to fallback to Media Thumbnails (currently only Youtube) when no Image found.
Do you have screen please ?

I will have to discuss with Oxy to see how far they have got with the next "feature" release.

I have been working on bug fix/optimisation releases, but do plan to add some features (as noted above) in future releases.

Hi @alexp999,

Thanks so much for taking care of this addon. Can you please make it so images that load are smaller versions of the original images. My members upload 3 - 5 megabyte images, so loading takes a really long time. If each image was cut down to like 50 - 100kb it would be much better.

Also, can you please post your paypal. I would like to donate some money since you are moving this addon forward.

Thanks.

Hi @alexp999,

Thanks so much for taking care of this addon. Can you please make it so images that load are smaller versions of the original images. My members upload 3 - 5 megabyte images, so loading takes a really long time. If each image was cut down to like 50 - 100kb it would be much better.

Also, can you please post your paypal. I would like to donate some money since you are moving this addon forward.

Thanks.

Making images smaller is on my ToDo list, I will be setting up an on the fly image thumbnailer/cacher which can make smaller images from those which have been uploaded. This may take a bit of time, as I will need to thoroughly test and ensure it will work for all server configurations.

Oxy is preparing an option to use the thumbnails instead of full size images, but for me personally I need something bigger than the XF attachment thumbnail, but smaller than the whole image.

Reactions: gfc

This is still ongoing, but will take some time to implement so that it works on all server configs, can survive upgrades without too much difficulty and doesn't cause more problems than it tries to solve.

My main aim was to issue bug fixes ASAP, the features are going to take longer as I want to make sure they are working well before release. I will still bug fix in the mean time if anyone is having issues.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would keep you in the loop as to my progress so far. I have now got a working image resizer, which currently produces images 480px wide and only around 20-30kb each. It also supports image watermarking as I am currently using an external library to do the work. Proof of concept is therefore done, however I need to build in image caching routines as currently loading the news page is a fairly cpu intensive task as images are resized everytime. I also intend to make many settings user configurable, such as the width, watermark text (if any), possibly target image file sizes.

I can't promise any dates at this stage, but I just wanted to let you know that this is still progressing, and I will release as soon as I can. In the mean time, if any new bugs crop up, I will prioritise them and get an update out.

I'll speak to Oxy again, see about getting some of the features that were promised out. See if I can finish up what has been started.

I want to try and build a list of promised features, from what I can find in the thread:
  1. Sharing options
  2. Select all forums/Pull from all if none selected
  3. More styles/style options
  4. More caching
  5. Use embedded image

I will probably concentrate more on 2, 4, and 5 initially as that fits in with the work I am already doing. Let me know if there are any I have missed.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would post a weekly update as to where things are. I was on holiday the end of last week and weekend, so I will have more time to work on this add-on this week. I have also spoken to Oxy and checked out the latest dev version. There is a featured slider in the works which is looking really promising, and also some different layouts to choose from.

The image resizer is turning out to be a fair bit of work to get it working robustly and without compromising the performance tweaks I have made so far, I would have liked it ready for you by now, but I have to fit the work on this add-on round a full time job so please bear with me :) I want it just as much for my own site, so don't think it is on the back burner.

Cheers.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would post a weekly update as to where things are. I was on holiday the end of last week and weekend, so I will have more time to work on this add-on this week. I have also spoken to Oxy and checked out the latest dev version. There is a featured slider in the works which is looking really promising, and also some different layouts to choose from.

The image resizer is turning out to be a fair bit of work to get it working robustly and without compromising the performance tweaks I have made so far, I would have liked it ready for you by now, but I have to fit the work on this add-on round a full time job so please bear with me :) I want it just as much for my own site, so don't think it is on the back burner.

Cheers.
Thanks for all your work on this @alexp999. This addon has so much potential and its great that a member of the community has stood up to assist with the mod when the developer has gone missing and stopped bothering to even update the purchasers of the mod on anything.

Top Bottom