1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

owner of a category and permissions to create child forum(s)

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Akimotos, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Akimotos

Akimotos New Member

Hi,
    i'm trying to find out how i can get the following:
    user is given a category node and rights to manage it. (in my case i create a category node "GM: Peter"
    Inside the node he can add his own nodes. One for each game he wants to run.
    Each game consists of one or more childforums
    [... node]
    ...[gamemasters] (category - big boss adds GM node for new gamemaster)
    ... ....[GM: Peter] (category - add nodes , not messages)
    ... ... ... [My great adventure] + [child1...x]
    ... ....[GM: Laila]
    ... ... ... [wonders of the world] + [child1...x]
    [... node]

after the Big Boss adds the category for GM: Peter i want to give peter the power to create his own Forum nodes. So far i need to go into Node Editor (as admin) and add a forum node and childnodes myself for peter.
    I do not want to manage my players in this way.

Is this possible? or do i need to change categories into forums? (i do not want to see posts there, just nodes. (one for each specific game)
    Or do i need to have a tool?

(if this is asked before - sorry... searching fort the keywords gives me no good directions)

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Is that from an add-on?
    XF doesn't allow members to manage nodes from the front end in that manner (it can only be done in the ACP by an administrator).

If you just want forums and not threads, then yes, a category would be the correct node type in that instance.

3. Akimotos

Akimotos New Member

Hi Brogan,
    thanks for reading and answering.
    No. not using an addon. I login as admin and create it. (i'm the so called big boss) And doing that from the node menu in the admin console is no problem.
    I wanted to give the person who runs a game an area to manage nodes, without my (admin)intervention.
    As a player of Play by Post games i always found annoying that i had to wait until an admin found time to add my child forum. (my next question would have been: and how could i limit the amount of child forums in numbers or depth)

((As i understand it (from your answer) now, it is not directly possible to let a game master manage his own (child)nodes. So i would need an add-on to make this possible.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it would require an add-on or custom development in order to provide that functionality.

5. MetalRush

MetalRush Member

Hey Akimotos,
    Did you find a solution for this?
    I am having the same issue on our forum...

6. MetalRush

MetalRush Member

....or does anyone have another solution for above mentioned idea?
    Perhaps via an add-on, or something?