OwlClient

DRE

Do any of you use this? It's a free desktop app that lets you sign and post to message board forums that use Tapatalk and vBulletin. I think that if they use Tapatalk that includes Xenforo but if a Xenforo forum isn't connected to Tapatalk then it doesn't work. I haven't tried it out yet. http://www.owlclient.com/

Just saw a screenshot of @BirdOPrey5 forum

Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 8.12.52 AM.webp

Owl is being developed by me e-friend and fellow forum Admin, he's the same guy that made the "vbnetwork" plugin.

He plans to support XenForo and other forums in the future.

JUOT was one of the sites he used to test it since it was fairly customized.

Owl is being developed by me e-friend and fellow forum Admin, he's the same guy that made the "vbnetwork" plugin.

He plans to support XenForo and other forums in the future.

JUOT was one of the sites he used to test it since it was fairly customized.
Does it show notifications?

Worked fine on your forum but crashed on me when I posted on IGN

I was able to post on IGN with Owl. I know the bug you're talking about though, it pops up maybe 1 in out of every 20 times you write a new post. I've been trying to track it down for a while.

I was able to post on IGN with Owl. I know the bug you're talking about though, it pops up maybe 1 in out of every 20 times you write a new post. I've been trying to track it down for a while.
I'm posting on there fine now. It happened the second time I posted.

I can't link to the thread I made within it. I have to actually go to the website to give you a link to the thread I made.

The open in browser option that I clicked on in Owl Client for the thread in the thread listing doesn't seem to be working either.

I'm on OSX 10.10 Yosemite btw. http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/logged-in-thru-owlclient.454259827/

Yeah, it's still very much a pre-1.0 product. A lot of work remains to be done on the Tapatalk functionality. The reason Joe's board (and some others) is that Owl will use vBulletin (right now 3.x only) directly to gets its info.

I rated and reviewed your app 5 stars since I was able to login and post on several forums without it crashing more than once so far.

Tapatalk makes sense because connects mobile users to multiple forums, but on a desktop where it's so easy to switch between tabs in your browser, this makes no sense.

Tapatalk makes sense because connects mobile users to multiple forums, but on a desktop where it's so easy to switch between tabs in your browser, this makes no sense.

I hope to add more features to Owl that will make it even more appealing, such as being able to easily save entire threads, have a unified "New Post" view, etc.

Owl was originally inspired by the Mac email client Sparrow, which also spawned MailBird for Windows. The same criticism that it "makes no sense" could be made for either of those.

It may not be for everyone and if you don't use it, that's fine.

If the board uses Tapatalk at the standard Tapatalk URL than it should "just work". If it doesn't, then if you know the Tapatalk URL, you can tell Owl what that is. I'll update the wiki (http://wiki.owlclient.com/index.php?title=Add_a_New_Board) shortly on how to do that.

Owl will also use parsers to basically do an HTML scrape of data from boards that don't have Tapatalk installed. Because it's just me (and since Joe is too lazy to help! :shakefist: ) the only parser that ships with Owl is for vBulletin 3.x. This is why you were seeing images and markup when you viewed JUOT in Owl, since Owl wasn't using Tapatalk but was using vBulletin.

I hope to have vBulletin 4.x and XF support before 1.0.

Top Bottom