Fixed Overlays - "Stop watching" Inconsistent with "Unwatch Forum"

Amaury

When you click on Watch Forum / Thread, the buttons on the overlay say Watch Forum / Thread and Cancel; when you click on Unwatch Forum / Thread, the buttons on the overlay say Unwatch Forum and Cancel and Stop watching and Cancel.

Stop watching should be changed to Unwatch Thread for consistency, and the phrase title should also be changed: stop_watching

If this was intentional, then Stop watching should at least be changed to Stop Watching.

Edit: Here are screenshots showing what I mean to prevent potential confusion:

Watch 1.webp Watch 2.webp Watch 3.webp Watch 4.webp

Last edited:
Okay, took me a bit to sort out what exactly you had in mind. If you click "Watch Thread" the overlay says "Watch This Thread" and the button on the overlay says "Watch Thread." If you choose to "Unwatch Thread" the overlay says, "Stop Watching This Thread" and the button on the overlay says "Stop Watching." They left off "thread" from the second button, but that was probably a design choice to keep the buttons the same size. You're right, they could have the button say "Unwatch Thread," which would accomplish the same thing, but in either case I don't think any forum members will suffer any confusion over it. However, of course, you are entitled to your opinion. Either would be fine with me personally.

On an unrelated note, looking into what you were talking about, it did finally occur to me when I clicked on the Watched Threads link that you should be able to tick multiple threads to watch or unwatch the same way you can with the Watched Forums. :)

You can.

But there's two Watched Thread pages. One shows all watched threads. This allows you to manage watched threads in the same way as watched forums. The other shows only watched threads that have new posts.

You can.

But there's two Watched Thread pages. One shows all watched threads. This allows you to manage watched threads in the same way as watched forums. The other shows only watched threads that have new posts.

Ah, you're right, Chris, sorry. I missed the link at the bottom there. As you can tell, I don't use it much and it's obviously not that important to me either way. ;)

Okay, took me a bit to sort out what exactly you had in mind. If you click "Watch Thread" the overlay says "Watch This Thread" and the button on the overlay says "Watch Thread." If you choose to "Unwatch Thread" the overlay says, "Stop Watching This Thread" and the button on the overlay says "Stop Watching." They left off "thread" from the second button, but that was probably a design choice to keep the buttons the same size. You're right, they could have the button say "Unwatch Thread," which would accomplish the same thing, but in either case I don't think any forum members will suffer any confusion over it. However, of course, you are entitled to your opinion. Either would be fine with me personally.

On an unrelated note, looking into what you were talking about, it did finally occur to me when I clicked on the Watched Threads link that you should be able to tick multiple threads to watch or unwatch the same way you can with the Watched Forums. :)

I've added screenshots to my OP to prevent potential confusion in the future.

Top Bottom