Over-optimisation slows your site

Wow, that is next level. lol

One of my goals is to try to get more fast urls under Desktop in Search Console, and more Moderate urls in Mobile.

1582823450149.webp

Are these results considered poor?

One of my goals is to try to get more fast urls under Desktop in Search Console, and more Moderate urls in Mobile.
if you read what GSC is testing, goal really is to have less slow urls as Google won't penalise you for moderate vs fast

If you have advertising/banners/javascript it will be hard to get fast GSC reported urls. From my calculation my Google Adsense ads account for around 0.1 to 0.4 of my FCP 75% percentile and my average FCP was 1.6-1.7 (now improved to 1.4-1.6 in last 2+ months). So even if I remove Google Adsense ads my closest for mobile speed would be moderate borderlining fast ~1.0-1.2 FCP.

and reason why is GSC is based on Chrome User Experience report (CRuX) real world visitor data, so if you have slow 3G device visitors, you will never get fast 3G GSC reported FCP. For me I have a large amount of non-USA visitors and slower device/ISP connections pulling down my averages.

Last edited:
I get a little confused on this information:

1582825104224.webp

The Field Data says there is not enough real-world data and then the Origin Summary gives some data. Then the Lab Data is different again. This is confusing me! Maybe it is obvious to someone else.

Ok, so what you are saying is that because of the third-party ads, it is unrealistic to get the fast urls. Not sure why my mobile urls are slow. They seem quite fast when using my mobile!

The Field Data says there is not enough real-world data and then the Origin Summary gives some data. Then the Lab Data is different again. This is confusing me! Maybe it is obvious to someone else.

quoting myself
Google Webmaster Console’s Speed report is based on Chrome User Experience data (CRuX) which is real world Chrome visitor data for your sites’ pages - what Google calls field data as opposed to lab data of which both field and lab data make up the components of Google PageSpeed Insights v5 https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ results.

As the CRuX data is real world, then both your sites have possibility of differing visitor profiles for geographic location, browser/device used and ISP connection speed. You can use your Google Analytics data to drill down into your visitor’s profiles for browser used = Chrome, avg page load speed vs avg dom interactive vs device type mobile/tablet vs desktop and then filter on geographic location i.e. country pin point where your site’s traffic is coming from and their respective speed and browser profiles.
Pagespeed insights's grading score is based on lab data/synthetic while reported field data is real data for that specific url you test. Origin field data is for the entire domain.com/* so average of index, threads, forum display and other urls of your domain.com. That's another reason why i usually don't focus too much on pagespeed insight's grading score as it's only lab data not real world from your visitors.

But improving lab data results, will help with real world somewhat - but won't help if your visitors are on 2G 400Kbps ISP connection and a 10+ year on low end computer for real world field/origin data metrics.

I figured that might be what the Origin Summary was, but wasn't 100% sure. Nice to have it cemented down, thanks.

I find this speed optimisation thing fascinating, and I am spending way too much time on it! but I kind like crunching the data. It has only been recently that my scores went down that I got frustrated!!

In that case be sure to also frequent CF community forums https://community.cloudflare.com/ :)

Full disclosure, since 2018 I am an official Cloudflare MVP (not paid/staff) but I have been using Cloudflare for 10 yrs nearly.
I hate the forum software they use. Discourse isn't it? Yuk!! Lots of sites use that but I like old school Xenforo type styles. I will take a peek though. For some reason, my comprehension goes down when viewing stuff with that forum software.

I figured that might be what the Origin Summary was, but wasn't 100% sure. Nice to have it cemented down, thanks.

I find this speed optimisation thing fascinating, and I am spending way too much time on it! but I kind like crunching the data. It has only been recently that my scores went down that I got frustrated!!
Yeah pagespeed + server speed are my addictions but they're also my bread and butter as I do paid forum/server optimisation consulting for a living for past 18+ yrs and worked with some of the largest vBulletin and xenforo forums over the years :D

Top Bottom