Outlook/hotmail/live just deletes my website's email

borgqueenx

At other providers its spam (because there was a spambot investation in my server 2 years ago) and while i tried contacting microsoft about it, they tell me every time again that they have applied some kind of thing that goes easier on emails from my domain. But it just stops working after a week every freaking time again.
This is extremely annoying. Spam folder OK i have learned to accept it. But come on just delete emails? I would never use microsoft as my email provider.

Any fix for this?

Have you confirmed that you have a valid/working DKIM setup, that SPF is configured and that you are not currently on any major blacklists (if you are sending the mail yourself)... or if you are using an outside service, have you confirmed that THEY aren't on any?

Have you confirmed that you have a valid/working DKIM setup, that SPF is configured and that you are not currently on any major blacklists (if you are sending the mail yourself)... or if you are using an outside service, have you confirmed that THEY aren't on any?
I'm not on any blacklists according to mxtoolbox.com
DKIM seems to be working and SPF is set up as well.

Then you just have to wait until you build up reputation with HotMail/Outlook/Live (if that's the only one you are having trouble with). You can submit your site to them, but it still will not prevent it from going into spam frequently (a lot of times due to the way the email is formatted). If you are finding it keeps "disappearing" then some of your users may be marking them as spam, which will cause their filter to do that.

Even with a service like that, if users are marking his domain emails as spam they won't go through.

I'm in the same boat. Everything is correctly set up and outlook says they will accept my email when I send the test email.

But rejected and reason is bulk / unsolicited email.

As such I'm forced to use mailchimps transaction email. Who can successfully deliver the same email with the same content from the same email address...

these days for Microsoft, DKIM and SPF is not enough, you also need DMARC setup https://community.centminmod.com/th...ver-email-doesnt-end-up-in-spam-inboxes.6999/

https://dmarc.postmarkapp.com/faq/

What is DMARC?
DMARC is a standard that prevents spammers from using your domain to send email without your permission — also known as spoofing. If you are new to email authentication, we recommend first reading about DKIM and SPF. In combination with SPF and DKIM, a DMARC policy in DNS allows you to set rules to reject or quarantine emails from sources you do not know or trust. As part of the DMARC spec, ISPs (Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft and more) who implement DMARC will also generate reports on sending activity for your domain. For further reading, check out our guide on DMARC.

https://postmarkapp.com/guides/dmarc

What is DMARC?
DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance) is a standard that prevents spammers from using your domain to send email without your permission — also known as spoofing. Spammers can forge the “From” address on messages so the spam appears to come from a user in your domain. A good example of this is PayPal spoofing, where a spammer sends an email to you pretending to be PayPal in an effort to obtain your account information. DMARC ensures these emails get blocked before you even see them in your inbox. In addition, DMARC gives you great visibility and reports into who is sending email on behalf of your domain, ensuring only legitimate email is received.

The good news is that DMARC is open and free for anyone to use, allowing you to secure your domain’s emails and gain control of your email delivery. All you have to do is follow the implementation steps in this guide and choose an ESP who supports DMARC.

What do DKIM and SPF have to do with DMARC?
Well, everything. With SPF and DKIM, it is up to the ISP to decide what to do with the results. DMARC takes it a step further and gives you full control to set a policy to reject or quarantine emails from sources you do not know or trust, all based on the results of DKIM and SPF. For instance, since PayPal is a huge target for fraud, they publish a DMARC record that says if DKIM or SPF fails, discard the message. Participating ISPs will look at this policy and discard the emails that fail. In the 2013 holiday season, DMARC helped PayPal stop an estimated 25 million attacks according to a report by Agari.

tl;dr; DMARC lets you tell ISPs how you want them to behave if SPF and DKIM fail or are not present. Here's a diagram showing how SPF and DKIM work together with DMARC.

Last edited:
My forum's most recent DMARC report as i use Amazon SES for forum and postfix relay so have SES DKIM and SPF records setup + DMARC DNS setup

sept-5-12-2016.webp

SPF is like an acl rule allow email from sources
Dkim is a signature
Dmarc is a reporting tool

SPF should have one option if it didn't come from my auth IP list dump it.

But noooooo they had to have another standard

its just annoying that the emails that are being send are rejected/deleted.
At least put it in the spam folder but no, microsoft is like "lets delete this" even though its an issue of at least a year ago and me sending them 3 emails to fix the problem.

I'l look into DMARC.... Thanks.

I have installed dkim wich is running, and spf record is also set up....
I have my own vps.
Well, if that test is any indicator - you have done it incorrectly. As the checker is showing that you have NOT configured them.
Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 12.42.55 PM.webp
You also need to check your MX recored - as it's apparently assigned to an outside mail server instead of your VPS (unless you are relaying from your VPS to an outside service).

There is more to setting up DKIM than just installing the service on the VPS
https://servinglinux.com/articles/entry/3-opendkim-on-debian/ is what I used when I ran Debian. I haven't created my CentOS guide for it yet, but it is very similar.

Well, if that test is any indicator - you have done it incorrectly. As the checker is showing that you have NOT configured them.
View attachment 140700
You also need to check your MX recored - as it's apparently assigned to an outside mail server instead of your VPS (unless you are relaying from your VPS to an outside service).

There is more to setting up DKIM than just installing the service on the VPS
https://servinglinux.com/articles/entry/3-opendkim-on-debian/ is what I used when I ran Debian. I haven't created my CentOS guide for it yet, but it is very similar.
yes, im using zoho to receive email so it doesnt take up space on my own VPS where space is costly.
can i add mx record to my own domain while continuing to receive mail in zoho?

apparantly it also throws away some points due to "RAZOR2_CHECK" wich is a service that checks for a email's contents, if i understand correctly.
For some reason xenforo's email confirmation emails are marked as bad.

Top Bottom