Option to hide avatars

wwwicked

I guess I can do this by creating a new style, but some of my forum members used the vBulletin option not to display avatars (in either the thread list or post list; other places are OK, I expect).

There's an option not to display signatures in XenForo, but I don't see a similar option for avatars.

Edit: OK, I've created an "Avatar-free" style for my forum. That works great, but I think a core option is better because it will can automatically be catered for by authors of external themes. At the moment, if I wanted to use a theme created by someone else, I'd also then have to create an avatar-free child theme.

Upvote 9
I'd like to add my support to this request. Our existing VB forum has no avatars, and many of our posters want to keep it that way.

If I understand correctly, I don't believe it is quite the same.

The opening suggestion is for a global administration setting to switch off avatar functionality altogether (no user upload, no display) without having to alter any templates.

Further to this, a related suggestion would be for functionality that allows an individual user to switch off the display of all avatars as a personal preference.

The opening suggestion is for a global administration setting to switch off avatar functionality altogether (no user upload, no display) without having to alter any templates.

Further to this, a related suggestion would be for functionality that allows an individual user to switch off the display of all avatars as a personal preference.

Actually, my initial post was asking for the per-user, personal preference mechanism to hide avatars (your "related suggestion"), as posters can do with signatures.

Oh, cool, I hadn't seen that. Will probably install that on Respawned.

Aside: eee. FreddysHouse. Good to know it's still going. I used to play in the Barrysworld Q2CTF league back in 1998. I even once ran a "Save Barrysworld" campaign. :D

Oh, cool, I hadn't seen that. Will probably install that on Respawned.

Aside: eee. FreddysHouse. Good to know it's still going. I used to play in the Barrysworld Q2CTF league back in 1998. I even once ran a "Save Barrysworld" campaign. :D

We certainly are still going :)

NSFW doesn't work in 1.4. At least not for me.

But it was trivial to add a checkbox to the user settings to hide avatars and a two line (add a xen:if) template modification to test that checkbox state and not render the HTML to show the avatars.

The steps were:
1) Add custom user field as preference setting
2) In the message_user_info template, add the xen:if tag like so:
upload_2015-1-12_6-38-21.webp

Note when I created the custom user field, the id I chose is hide_avatars.

Hope this helps someone.

I'm adding another vote for native support for this feature. Also a member's choice option to disable smilies.

not working annmore in 1.4.6 :( any body willing to renew the codes ?

It doesn't exactly fill the full role of the plugin, but you can hide avatars without doing code modifications or custom fields.

If you go to Styles > Create New Style > select your current style as the Parent style and name it something like No Avatars or whatever.

Then in the Style Properties for that style, you can hide avatar sections wherever you want by putting the following in the miscellaneous section:
Code:
visibility: hidden !important;

Message Layout > Avatar Holder and Discussion List > Discussion Starter Avatar are two places.

The nice thing about creating the child style is you can still make changes to the parent that will cascade down into the child automatically.

Top Bottom