Not planned Option to dismiss missing files or files with unexpected contents notice.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If it bothers you that much, you can get rid of it manually.

I love this bit of additional security - but I back up Frederiks request, since he is asking for a dismiss function on a change, not to disable the function.

If you have altered a file, planned and with intent, then it´s a bit annoying to have that warning all the time.
Trust me, you'll barely notice it after a time. I wouldn't bother, personally, but to each his own.
And exactly that´s the problem, that comes with it. I had to modify a file in the very beginning and the health check came up with the warning as he is supposed to do. A week later - indeed - I started neglecting the warning unconciously. Another admin modified 2 others while tweaking a custom addon. This weekend we met in a pub where at some point he told me about how this addon drove him crazy - and that he had to alter those files. Guess, when I noticed these additional health check warnings the first time? And the changes have been made 2 weeks before. It´s like the story about little Oscar screaming "Fire!" each day, trying to scare people. After a week you don´t give a f... what this kid is yelling at you.

I hear you already saying, that´s my fault than. Yes and no. Since we are humans and are designed that way to neglect things that appear to have no new information over time, this indeed is a Yes. But it´s a No if you take into account, that it´s an industry standard for each and every security critical application for a reason - may it be security monitors in power plants, respirators and other medical equipment in hospitals, your private helicopter or LearJet controls or even error screens for your OS. They all can be dismissed since it´s well known that they otherwise will become neglected over time. And I guess we´ll concur, that our XF installations can be considered as a security critical application.

That´s why I strongly request a dismiss button, too. Of course, that only makes sense when
  • a warning archive exists
  • warnings pop up again, when another change on a prior edited file is detected
  • privileges for dismissing a warning can be adjusted
and for that reason I would like to expand @FrederikP ´s suggestion with it - and would like to ask @Chris D to move this thead back to https://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-suggestions.18/ .

Last edited:
Different strokes for different, folks. I can understand the sentiment that it's "annoying" to constantly be reminded of something you're already aware of, but you get used to it - or I did. That doesn't mean I don't notice it all, though. I know exactly how many files I've altered (2 in my case, that affect the Members Online stats), so I'm not too worried that I won't notice if that number suddenly increases. But I guess if you've got a lot of fingers in the pie, it might get a little confusing....

Files should not be manually modified. If you absolutely have to patch a file, use a SCM solution like git to keep track of your changes and rebuild the hashes appropriately, this way there will be no warning for intentionally modified files and you can easily keep track of applied changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom