Lack of interest option: an idiot-proof customizable header area that doesn't affect the code elsewhere

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

anotheralias

That's probably not the best thread title, but I can't think how else to put it.

I would like to have the option of being able to put anything I like in the area above the navigation bar, using any type of code that still works/hasn't been discontinued outright (old-school HMTL, ancient CSS, whatever), without it impacting the breadcrumbs or navigation bar or anything else.

For example if I decide to put a table up there that's 100px high, I shouldn't need to figure out why the breadcrumb arrows are now floating in the middle of the navigation bar and what I need to do to fix it.

I don't know enough about code to know how you'd achieve this, maybe with some kind of a deal like the avatar holder - a container into which we could sling whatever code we liked?

I think this would have two main advantages:

1. The area most important to people for customization is the logo/header area; it's what they'll tweak first and if they can customize it easily they won't have to badger the support forums for help.

2. A lot of people who are converting from previous software will already have a customized header, and this will let them pretty much copy/paste it so that the board's "face" still looks familiar to their members.

Thanks for your time. :)

header_example.gif

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've been having the same issue - I need to get the header to match the navigation bar on my main site, which uses some <div>s and a <ul> and some CSS. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but it's been surprisingly challenging - if you happen to find a solution, be sure to let me know.

Antotheralias :)

I'll work on a tutorial to make editing the header a bit easier, I'm currently at work but I'll see what I can do when i get home.

Antotheralias :)

I'll work on a tutorial to make editing the header a bit easier, I'm currently at work but I'll see what I can do when i get home.

Ah, Russ to the rescue again. :) Thank you Russ!

(But although I'm very happy to have my problem solved, I still think that the instant-gratification element of someone being able to customize their header right off the bat, with no trips to Support and no hair-pulling, would be a nice feature.)

I think this is a fantastic idea. My forum always looks different to my main news site because of the trouble I go through every time my board software and skin is updated. I tried once to do a matching skin, never again. :) This is exactly what I need - something simple to go at the top of the page, that can contain my main site index and everything else to properly bring my forum and news site together.

Top Bottom