• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

option: an idiot-proof customizable header area that doesn't affect the code elsewhere

anotheralias

That's probably not the best thread title, but I can't think how else to put it.

I would like to have the option of being able to put anything I like in the area above the navigation bar, using any type of code that still works/hasn't been discontinued outright (old-school HMTL, ancient CSS, whatever), without it impacting the breadcrumbs or navigation bar or anything else.

For example if I decide to put a table up there that's 100px high, I shouldn't need to figure out why the breadcrumb arrows are now floating in the middle of the navigation bar and what I need to do to fix it.

I don't know enough about code to know how you'd achieve this, maybe with some kind of a deal like the avatar holder - a container into which we could sling whatever code we liked?

I think this would have two main advantages:

1. The area most important to people for customization is the logo/header area; it's what they'll tweak first and if they can customize it easily they won't have to badger the support forums for help.

2. A lot of people who are converting from previous software will already have a customized header, and this will let them pretty much copy/paste it so that the board's "face" still looks familiar to their members.

Thanks for your time. :)

header_example.gif

I've been having the same issue - I need to get the header to match the navigation bar on my main site, which uses some <div>s and a <ul> and some CSS. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but it's been surprisingly challenging - if you happen to find a solution, be sure to let me know.

anotheralias

Antotheralias :)

I'll work on a tutorial to make editing the header a bit easier, I'm currently at work but I'll see what I can do when i get home.
Ah, Russ to the rescue again. :) Thank you Russ!

(But although I'm very happy to have my problem solved, I still think that the instant-gratification element of someone being able to customize their header right off the bat, with no trips to Support and no hair-pulling, would be a nice feature.)

I think this is a fantastic idea. My forum always looks different to my main news site because of the trouble I go through every time my board software and skin is updated. I tried once to do a matching skin, never again. :) This is exactly what I need - something simple to go at the top of the page, that can contain my main site index and everything else to properly bring my forum and news site together.