Optimize VPS for best performance

Cupara

I am looking to make sure my new VPS is optimized for best performance. I'm having the following setup.

VPS Software: vePortal/OpenVZ
CPU: 1500 MHz
Memory: 1GB
Disk: 25GB SSD Raid
B/W: 1000GB/Month

I will be running XenForo only but one site is expected to have up into the thousands in registration shortly after launch day in May.

Just want to make sure I am prepared.

I am looking to make sure my new VPS is optimized for best performance. I'm having the following setup.

I will be running XenForo only but one site is expected to have up into the thousands in registration shortly after launch day in May.

Debian Linux

Uses less resources out of the box.

(Would normally suggest more Ram with any control panel (2 GB or more) and CPU. Xen rather than OpenVZ if possible)

If you're going up that route, you may as well suggest Gentoo or Arch

Really it makes 0 difference
Less documentation on Gentoo or Arch (although Arch is gaining speed in documentation and is just about as compatible as Debian or Ubuntu).

Debian out of the box uses 2 MB of ram compared to CentOS / Red Hat which uses about 20 MB.

Ease of use is also factored in (for complete noobs & advance users).

Debian with dotdeb right?
Yep.
http://www.dotdeb.org/instructions/

Dotdeb is good at releasing things quickly. They even seem to be able to release stable builds a little faster than Ubuntu released (usually).

Officially, they're doing Debian 6, but I've found I was able to do Debian 7 with their repositories (even though Debian 7 is still not final).

You could of course still use the official Debian packages or build from source. The choice is yours (but I suggest Dotdeb.org )

Yep.
http://www.dotdeb.org/instructions/

Dotdeb is good at releasing things quickly. They even seem to be able to release stable builds a little faster than Ubuntu released (usually).

Officially, they're doing Debian 6, but I've found I was able to do Debian 7 with their repositories (even though Debian 7 is still not final).
Can you please link to me a complete tutorial for dotdeb?
Basic, optimization, security, updates, maintenace.

Can you please link to me a complete tutorial for dotdeb?
Basic, optimization, security, updates, maintenace.
Dotdeb does not have a tutorial.... just instructions on how to add them to the repository list, which I gave you in the link above (you quoted it).

I however did post a basic tutorial for beginners. Nothing to advance, just a simple LAMP install (no customizations, per say).

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/debian-server-setup.952/

edit: For those who don't know.... I just got a pm ... LAMP means.... Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP (basically everything you need to run XenForo out of the box)

Reactions: rdn
Dotdeb does not have a tutorial.... just instructions on how to add them to the repository list, which I gave you in the link above (you quoted it).

I however did post a basic tutorial for beginners. Nothing to advance, just a simple LAMP install (no customizations, per say).

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/debian-server-setup.952/

edit: For those who don't know.... I just got a pm ... LAMP means.... Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP (basically everything you need to run XenForo out of the box)
Dotdeb is not LAMP :D

It's LEMP

Dotdeb is not LAMP :D

It's LEMP
Correct. But Dotdeb will give you the latest PHP and MySQL. Which is why I suggest people add them. ;)

(So its still a plus adding them either way)

Just so no sends me a pm (again).... LEMP means... Linux, nginx *, MySQL, PHP

* Technically the E means "engine x" and is today associated (when referring to LEMP), nginx.

With what I'm doing I will have CentOS with Plesk. Just optimizing it will be the fun part. nginx is new to me though, seen it around but never looked into it.

Yes for now, I mostly like Nginx compare to apache.
I have love and hate relationship with nginx.

When they originally came out I wouldn't touch the things (except for testing). But that's to be expected when something is new. Later they released something very good and I loved it, but somewhere down the line they started to change a few things so often that every update meant me having to update my re-write rules and configuration. And I hated that.

I've not touched it since (sometime last year or the year before).

Reactions: rdn
With what I'm doing I will have CentOS with Plesk. Just optimizing it will be the fun part. nginx is new to me though, seen it around but never looked into it.
You need a better server setup.

CentOS ..... Well lets not get started.... (I don't want to have that debate).

Plesk however.... If you think cPanel uses resources.... You've never tried Plesk. Visit their forum and see the post radio of resource help / complaints vs general help. You'll understand soon enough

You need a better server setup.

CentOS ..... Well lets not get started.... (I don't want to have that debate).

Plesk however.... If you think cPanel uses resources.... You've never tried Plesk. Visit their forum and see the post radio of resource help / complaints vs general help. You'll understand soon enough

Please.

Tell me whats wrong with his setup.

Id LOVE to hear your logic. Realy.

I don't know much about CentOS, Adam, and I would honestly like to hear what's wrong with it since I'm going to test it soon following recommendations here.

There's nothing wrong with it. It is preferred by about anybody used to Red Hat Enterprise Licenses. :rolleyes:

A person should be more concerned about Apache vs. Nginx memory usage than cPanel vs. Plesk.

Things add up.... People forget that.

CentOS / Red Hat out of the box uses a little more memory.

Plesk is a control panel and like most control panels which uses both CPU and Memory (out of the box, more than cPanel)

He's already using vePortal / OpenVZ (without getting into details please Google OpenVZ vs Xen). Combine the two vePortal with OpenVZ and the dedicated server hosting his VPS is going to have some interesting stats.

He claims he's going to have thousands of people online and with all the above he's going with this

We'll agree to disagree.

You've created 8 large posts. Good job. :rolleyes:

Mythological, your setup appears to be fine. I would suggest that you use APC or memcached to help with performance. Using nginx over Apache would probably help you out quite a bit too. Once you have things up and running, you'll want to tune your MySQL configuration and caching configurations (APC/memcache, whatever) to better fit your site.

Plesk and the OS you use are the least of your worries.

It sounds like with the traffic you expect, you may end up using a lot of bandwidth, but you're probably OK, and bandwidth is cheap, if you go over that amount.

You really probably won't know if those are good enough specs until you hit that wall.

You've created 8 large posts. Good job. :rolleyes:

Mythological, your setup appears to be fine. I would suggest that you use APC or memcached to help with performance. Using nginx over Apache would probably help you out quite a bit too. Once you have things up and running, you'll want to tune your MySQL configuration and caching configurations (APC/memcache, whatever) to better fit your site.

Plesk and the OS you use are the least of your worries.

It sounds like with the traffic you expect, you may end up using a lot of bandwidth, but you're probably OK, and bandwidth is cheap, if you go over that amount.

You really probably won't know if those are good enough specs until you hit that wall.

Always happy to give your life meaning, SneakyDave. :)

Capture.webp

1,000 - 500 = 500

1/2 of his Ram alone will go to Plesk before he even has 1 user on his site.
He claims he'll have 1,000's (Or at least he wants to plan for it)

Installing Plesk myself, he would need to turn off some of the extra services to get it down to an even 512 MB.

Top Bottom