Optimize VPS for best performance

Personally, I'd rather not have a control panel at all for the above reasons. Waste of resources and time. Take the day or two it takes to learn how to control things via SSH and you're good to go.

Oh, and I'd echo the vote for Debian. I personally find apt much more user friendly to yum.

He's already using vePortal / OpenVZ (without getting into details please Google OpenVZ vs Xen).

OpenVZ absolutely spanks Xen performance-wise, especially on lower-end/low RAM VMs, like the OP is planning on running. The problem with OpenVZ's reputation is that unscrupulous providers have oversold the hell out of OpenVZ nodes (it's much easier to do, though Xen is also easily oversold now) for years and years. We specifically decided to go with OpenVZ on our SSD VPS nodes, for example, because there was simply no comparison between the two in our benchmarks. Look at almost any benchmark out there, and you'll see the same, mostly due to the larger overhead with XEN.

Unfortunately by the specs he lists, he is planning on going with Burst.net, which is definitely going to be an oversold node.

Top Bottom