Optimal php config?

I see a windows server. Some suggestion from me (quick look)

allow_url_fopen change to off and use cURL

what webserver do you use?

I do not understand what I really need to alter but my forums are loading so much slower now and I moved from shared hosting to a dedicated server.
If anyone could help diagnose/guide me in the right direction to fix this that would be amazing!

I do not understand what I really need to alter but my forums are loading so much slower now and I moved from shared hosting to a dedicated server.
If anyone could help diagnose/guide me in the right direction to fix this that would be amazing!
Do you use nginx for production site with windows? Thats not good. Nginx for windows is not ready for production.

Do you use nginx for production site with windows? Thats not good. Nginx for windows is not ready for production.
It is a production site but I had many people told me that it should be fine :/
Would probably be a nightmare to reverse everything I have already setup now.

It is a production site but I had many people told me that it should be fine :/
Would probably be a nightmare to reverse everything I have already setup now.
From the official nginx site:
Version of nginx for Windows uses the native Win32 API (not the Cygwin emulation layer). Only the select() connection processing method is currently used, so high performance and scalability should not be expected. Due to this and some other known issues version of nginx for Windows is considered to be a beta version.

I emphasized the important part, so I would have serious reservations about running it and expecting it to perform as well as the Linux variants (which is what most people talk about being a higher performer).

nginx [engine x] is an HTTP and reverse proxy server, as well as a mail proxy server, written by Igor Sysoev. For a long time, it has been running on many heavily loaded Russian sites including Yandex, Mail.Ru, VKontakte, and Rambler. According to Netcraft nginx served or proxied 19.21% busiest sites in June 2014. Here are some of the success stories: Netflix,Wordpress.com, FastMail.FM.
None of these types of comments are actually helping right now though, please, if you are going to respond have something helpful.

None of these types of comments are actually helping right now though, please, if you are going to respond have something helpful.
It has everything to do with it... I'm pretty sure that Netflix and WordPress are not running Windows on the backend. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most of the actual netflix stuff (the streaming) is coming in via AWS and netcraft shows that their servers are running Linux or citrix netscaler. WordPress is (their main domain) shown to be running Linux.
I believe Yandex is running on FreeBSD and Mail.ru either FreeBSD or Linux (you seeing a trend here yet?).

Just because those sites use nginx doesn't mean that they are running Windows as their OS. The main point being that most people won't use a BETA of nginx on their production server for Windows OS. They will use either Apache or IIS.

You want a suggestion to get it to work nicely.. follow the flow and dump Windows as your OS and go with either centOS or Debian (or a derivative thereof) and you should see a drastic speed increase.

It's hard to tell from what you stated... your php.ini is posted from an ubuntu site but some of the posts above reflect that you are using Windows on the server?

Last edited:
It has everything to do with it... I'm pretty sure that Netflix and WordPress are not running Windows on the backend. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most of the actual netflix stuff (the streaming) is coming in via AWS and netcraft shows that their servers are running Linux or citrix netscaler. WordPress is (their main domain) shown to be running Linux.
I believe Yandex is running on FreeBSD and Mail.ru either FreeBSD or Linux (you seeing a trend here yet?).

Just because those sites use nginx doesn't mean that they are running Windows as their OS. The main point being that most people won't use a BETA of nginx on their production server for Windows OS. They will use either Apache or IIS.

You want a suggestion to get it to work nicely.. follow the flow and dump Windows as your OS and go with either centOS or Debian (or a derivative thereof) and you should see a drastic speed increase.

It's hard to tell from what you stated... your php.ini is posted from an ubuntu site but some of the posts above reflect that you are using Windows on the server?
It's just a pastebin is all it is. I'm also stuck with Windows now that I chose it for my dedicated and the reason I chose it was due to me being familiar with windows servers.
The server also has game servers on it which required them to be on a windows machine.

I'm also using the stable version of nginx also, not the beta.

The server also has game servers on it which required them to be on a windows machine.
Ouch.. that could present a problem then.
I'm also using the stable version of nginx also, not the beta.
I think the point they were trying to make is even if it is "mainline" it should still be classified as a BETA version as there are many functions that don't work compared to the Linux version (thread limits and a few other items).

never ever used Nginx windows so have no clue.. but maybe try this fork, Nginx RedKnight for Windows http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu

About Us
nginx for Windows is build and maintained by a small team,
commercially backed by ECSystems.nl to supply the best and full
featured webserver for Windows.

from FAQ http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/download/FAQ nginx-win version.txt

17. Q: Is this version production ready? And who is using it in production?
A: Yes it is! And has been for a while, we are using it in a production environment and
we are aware there are quite a few others running our builds

readme http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/download/Readme nginx-win version.txt

but as others have stated, to scale for performance us Nginx on Linux :)

For Linux, I use CentOS and biased as I use my own Centmin Mod LEMP web stack http://centminmod.com/ :D

I'm also stuck with Windows now that I chose it for my dedicated and the reason I chose it was due to me being familiar with windows servers.
You should stick with IIS and other Windows products. Nginx is not designed to run on Windows.

Top Bottom