1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimal php config?

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by iamjudd, Jul 25, 2014.

1. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

Currently using php 5.4 and was wondering if anyone could help me optimize my php config?

Here is my current config:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/7857561/

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What do you want to optimize about it?

Whats wrong with your site?

3. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

When I try to email from the admin panel if I try to send out more than 1 at a time it hangs up and ends up with a 504

4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Anything in the error logs?

5. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

I'll test it again a bit later to get the error

6. Null

Null Well-Known Member

Any particular reason you're using PHP 5.4 over 5.5?

7. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

It just was in the package for my websever, I would like to upgrade to 5.5 but the person helping me that have been a little busy lately.

8. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

I see a windows server. Some suggestion from me (quick look)

allow_url_fopen change to off and use cURL

what webserver do you use?

9. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

nginx

10. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

I do not understand what I really need to alter but my forums are loading so much slower now and I moved from shared hosting to a dedicated server.
    If anyone could help diagnose/guide me in the right direction to fix this that would be amazing!

11. Null

Null Well-Known Member

@MattW @eva2000 @Floren.

12. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Do you use nginx for production site with windows? Thats not good. Nginx for windows is not ready for production.

13. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

It is a production site but I had many people told me that it should be fine :/
    Would probably be a nightmare to reverse everything I have already setup now.

14. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

From the official nginx site:
    I emphasized the important part, so I would have serious reservations about running it and expecting it to perform as well as the Linux variants (which is what most people talk about being a higher performer).

15. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

None of these types of comments are actually helping right now though, please, if you are going to respond have something helpful.

16. Tracy Perry

It has everything to do with it... I'm pretty sure that Netflix and WordPress are not running Windows on the backend. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most of the actual netflix stuff (the streaming) is coming in via AWS and netcraft shows that their servers are running Linux or citrix netscaler. WordPress is (their main domain) shown to be running Linux.
    I believe Yandex is running on FreeBSD and Mail.ru either FreeBSD or Linux (you seeing a trend here yet?).

Just because those sites use nginx doesn't mean that they are running Windows as their OS. The main point being that most people won't use a BETA of nginx on their production server for Windows OS. They will use either Apache or IIS.

You want a suggestion to get it to work nicely.. follow the flow and dump Windows as your OS and go with either centOS or Debian (or a derivative thereof) and you should see a drastic speed increase.

It's hard to tell from what you stated... your php.ini is posted from an ubuntu site but some of the posts above reflect that you are using Windows on the server?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  17. iamjudd

iamjudd Active Member

It's just a pastebin is all it is. I'm also stuck with Windows now that I chose it for my dedicated and the reason I chose it was due to me being familiar with windows servers.
    The server also has game servers on it which required them to be on a windows machine.

I'm also using the stable version of nginx also, not the beta.

18. Tracy Perry

Ouch.. that could present a problem then.
    I think the point they were trying to make is even if it is "mainline" it should still be classified as a BETA version as there are many functions that don't work compared to the Linux version (thread limits and a few other items).

19. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

never ever used Nginx windows so have no clue.. but maybe try this fork, Nginx RedKnight for Windows http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu

from FAQ http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/download/FAQ nginx-win version.txt

readme http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/download/Readme nginx-win version.txt

but as others have stated, to scale for performance us Nginx on Linux :)

For Linux, I use CentOS and biased as I use my own Centmin Mod LEMP web stack http://centminmod.com/ :D

Slavik, RoldanLT and iamjudd like this.
  20. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

You should stick with IIS and other Windows products. Nginx is not designed to run on Windows.

HWS, Sheratan and eva2000 like this.