Opinions wanted

TPerry

How does this look for a dedicated server?
Dedicated Servers - (SCRANTON, PA) - Xeon X3220 Quad Core Dedicated Server - (SCRANTON, PA) - (SCRANTON, PA) - Combo Offer (centauri.twowheeldemon.com)
» Operating System: Debian 6 - 64-BIT
» Control Panel: No Control Panel Installation / License
» Bandwidth: 100TB/Month Standard - 1Gbps Port
» RAM/Memory: 8GB DDR2
» IP Addresses (Base Allocation): 5
» Primary Hard Drive: 500GB SATA
» 2nd Hard Drive: 500GB SATA
» Remote Reboot Port - (Web Interface to Power Cycle Server Remotely): Yes $9.95 USD
» Fully Managed Service - (Phone Support, Multi-Port Monitoring, 3rd Party Script Basic Assistance, Limited Free O/S Re-installs): None
» Private LAN Port - (Additional LAN Port to Privately Connect Servers): None
» Remote KVM Service - (Web Interface to Console Server Remotely): Yes $39.95 USD
» Load Balancing Port - (Balance Traffic Across Multiple/Redundant Servers): None
» DDOS Protection Service - (Hardware Based): Network-Level
» Database Software: None
» Expedited Delivery - (Best Effort Basis - If delivery timeframe not met, eligible for Expedite Fee refund only): 72 HOURS - STANDARD DELIVERY

As sitting it's going to run about $230 a month.

Dedicated Servers - (SCRANTON, PA) - Xeon X3220 Quad Core Dedicated Server - (SCRANTON, PA) - (SCRANTON, PA) - Combo Offer (centauri.twowheeldemon.com)
» Remote Reboot Port - (Web Interface to Power Cycle Server Remotely): Yes $9.95 USD
» Fully Managed Service - (Phone Support, Multi-Port Monitoring, 3rd Party Script Basic Assistance, Limited Free O/S Re-installs): None
» Remote KVM Service - (Web Interface to Console Server Remotely): Yes $39.95 USD
» Load Balancing Port - (Balance Traffic Across Multiple/Redundant Servers): None
» Expedited Delivery - (Best Effort Basis - If delivery timeframe not met, eligible for Expedite Fee refund only): 72 HOURS - STANDARD DELIVERY

Looks very expensive for the spec to be honest, for that sort of price could get 2x Xeon E5520, 48GB RAM, 4x 73GB 15k SAS Drives.

To be honest looks like theyve jacked the price up to cover the 100TB bandwidth at 1Gbit.

So the question is, how much data do you use a month?

Looks very expensive for the spec to be honest, for that sort of price could get 2x Xeon E5520, 48GB RAM, 4x 73GB 15k SAS Drives.

To be honest looks like theyve jacked the price up to cover the 100TB bandwidth at 1Gbit.

So the question is, how much data do you use a month?

Right now well less than 1GB, since the forum is not that busy. Am just contemplating a server (have a VPS right now) but can't really find good prices (probably not looking in the right place - that was from BurstNet).

Right now well less than 1GB, since the forum is not that busy. Am just contemplating a server (have a VPS right now) but can't really find good prices (probably not looking in the right place - that was from BurstNet).

If your not that busy, is a dedicated server just wasting money? (If you want to give it away, I can send you my paypal :D)

Anyway, other options.

Mike Edge just moved to these guys, the so far, seems like a good solid host, WHT seems to back them up aswell: $70 a month for a lot of hardware, upgrades at very reasonable prices.
http://servercomplete.com/dedicated

A UK based company with top notch support, reliability and connectivity (used by Brogans Clip the Apex forum): The downside is upgrades can be a little pricy, however the raw specials offer great value for money.
http://www.rapidswitch.com/

People love them or hate them, personally i've never had a problem in 10 years. Good specced, reliable, hardware at reasonable prices.
https://www.1and1.com/

If your not that busy, is a dedicated server just wasting money? (If you want to give it away, I can send you my paypal :D)
Anyway, other options.
Mike Edge just moved to these guys, the so far, seems like a good solid host, WHT seems to back them up aswell: $70 a month for a lot of hardware, upgrades at very reasonable prices.

;) I get a set amount of "play" money each month. Been buying black powder related stuff for hunting but now I have 3500lbs of pure lead, 5 lbs of BP stored at the house, 50 lbs stored in two different remote location "bunkers" and plenty of pre-napped flints I think I've got enough gun stuff.
Now it's time to get back to playing with other toys. I just am thinking about getting a dedi to have. I have a 2GB VPS with RamNode and it does everything I need it to do (considering the low number of users) but I have some ideas that will require more memory and I can only go up to 4GB on the VPS.
Most of my traffic will be US targeted, so the UK is pretty much out for hosting.

Was going to say I know exactly who that's with. I have a dedicated server through burst.net. You could probably trim those specs a bit and find yourself paying a lot less and still have a good server.

I just looked... and am about to drop the trigger on this. A whole $65 a month. That doesn't seem bad.

Package Type
Dedicated Servers
Package Name
Dual Intel Xeon L5520
  • Processor
    Dual Intel Xeon L5520​
  • Memory
    24GB DDR3 ECC​
  • Primary Hard Drive
    1TB SATA​
  • Secondary Hard Drive
    None​
  • Bandwidth
    30TB @ 1Gbps​
    $ 10.00​
  • IP Addresses
    1 IP Address​
  • Operating System
    Debian 6 (64-bit)​
  • Control Panel
    None​

Looks good :)

Now to figure out how to get access to it. :p
The VPS uses SolusVM for VNC access allowing you to set up the SSH, etc. Apparently their loadout just shoots an install of Debian on with no way to get in (that they relay to you - so far). Have a ticket submitted so we will see how that aspect goes.

Here is what the toy is set up with currently (I'll probably add/change drives later - need to see what SSD's will add to it but for as little as I do probably not worth it right now)

CPU SOCKET0
Intel Xeon L5520 @ 2.26GHz
CPU SOCKET1
Intel Xeon L5520 @ 2.26GHz
RAM DIMM0A
Samsung PC3-8500R-07-10-E1-D2 @ 4GB
RAM DIMM0B
RAM DIMM0C
RAM DIMM1A
RAM DIMM1B
RAM DIMM1C
HDD BAY0
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 @ 1TB

woah.... I just checked... the normal price for that server I have set upis $149.99. I guess getting it (no matter for how long) at $65 per month is not bad. If I'm lucky that price will remain the same - but I'm not usually lucky. :ROFLMAO:
Got a ticket in asking if it's going to be the permanent price... if it is, I feel a second one coming on. Get me a 2'fer!

Just so you know, whoever those specs were from is just reselling from burst.net. The "at cost" price for that server is $209.84. ;)

That said, I hope you add a 2nd hard drive to your new server and run some sort of RAID configuration. That should be used on any server, but particularly when you are using desktop-grade hard drives in the system.

Just so you know, whoever those specs were from is just reselling from burst.net. The "at cost" price for that server is $209.84. ;)

That said, I hope you add a 2nd hard drive to your new server and run some sort of RAID configuration. That should be used on any server, but particularly when you are using desktop-grade hard drives in the system.

Uhh... they have resellers posting at burst.net? That was a direct from http://www.burst.net/ (which I would assume is NOT a reseller).

If it was an important server (which my site is hobby and I pull a DB backup twice a day) then I agree. Eventually I'll do the secure offsite backup routine and push it out to there. I don't believe RAID was an option in the setup (am eventually planning on doing an upgrade to dual SSD's in it). It's more a toy for me right now, not a business type setup. If it crashes I'll have my DB's backed up (most recent 12 hours) and same with the directory structure and important config files initially.

Uhh... they have resellers posting at burst.net? That was a direct from http://www.burst.net/ (which I would assume is NOT a reseller).

Doh! No, hadn't realized you went straight to Burst. I thought the centauri.twowheeldemon.com were the folks you were buying the server from. Not really sure why else it would be in the middle of the server specs. I see now that it's your forum.

If it crashes I'll have my DB's backed up (most recent 12 hours) and same with the directory structure and important config files initially.

Understood with the hobby aspect. The problem is not backups (as RAID is absolutely never, ever, ever a substitute for backups, contrary to what a lot of people believe). The problem occurs when it takes hours to replace the damaged hardware, then reinstallation of the OS, all the backups, etc. When for $5-10 more per month, when one drive fails, chances are your server is still going to be up and running. Business or not, it sure saves a heck of a lot of hassle, for the price of a cup of coffee.

Doh! No, hadn't realized you went straight to Burst. I thought the centauri.twowheeldemon.com were the folks you were buying the server from. Not really sure why else it would be in the middle of the server specs. I see now that it's your forum.

Understood with the hobby aspect. The problem is not backups (as RAID is absolutely never, ever, ever a substitute for backups, contrary to what a lot of people believe). The problem occurs when it takes hours to replace the damaged hardware, then reinstallation of the OS, all the backups, etc. When for $5-10 more per month, when one drive fails, chances are your server is still going to be up and running. Business or not, it sure saves a heck of a lot of hassle, for the price of a cup of coffee.

Actually... for what I'm wanting to do it's nearer $100 per month (hardware RAID (roughly $40 per month) with 2 128GB SSD's ($25 each per month)). And centauri.twowheeldemon.com is my actual server (in fact, if you hit it now you see the default NGINX page :p). Replacing the hardware is their business, setting up the OS (after it's provisioned with Debian) takes me about 30 minutes or so (I just timed it on this setup - I've got SSH running using keys, upgraded to Wheezy, Percona and all my PHP stuff install, phpMyAdmin about to be installed). For me, that's the fun of it! (drats, no self flagellation smileys available). I've been told I have a "weird" sense of fun.:ROFLMAO:

Linux Software Raid 1 OK. I can get the 1TB SATA exchanged for 2 128GB SSD's (Intel 840 Pro's) for just $45 more. I am seriously considering doing that, especially if software raid is reliable on Linux (never used it - always been a hardware raid user at the locations I've worked at).

Linux Software Raid 1 OK. I can get the 1TB SATA exchanged for 2 128GB SSD's (Intel 840 Pro's) for just $45 more. I am seriously considering doing that, especially if software raid is reliable on Linux (never used it - always been a hardware raid user at the locations I've worked at).

For a small hobby site hardware raid is over kill.. esp if your getting SSD's.

Top Bottom