Opinions wanted

What is phpmyadmin? :giggle: Use mydumper.

You mean like this?:D
Code:
#!/bin/sh

find /db_backup* -mtime +7 -exec rm {} 
DIR_BACKUP=/db_backup
DB_NAME=database_name
DB_USER=db_username
DB_PASS=db_passwd
DOW=`date "+%a"`
DB_DUMP=$DIR_BACKUP/dbdump.$DB_NAME.$DOW
mydumper \
  --database=$DB_NAME \
  --host=$DB_HOST \
  --user=$DB_USER \
  --password=$DB_PASS \
  --outputdir=$DB_DUMP \
  --rows=500000 \
  --compress \
  --build-empty-files \
  --threads=2 \
  --compress-protocol

Last edited:
Why the drama over a hosting thread? If you want a wider opinion go to WHT, if you're happy with the performance/price of your server then keep it.

Because they have a vested interest and need to show who has the bigger host junk?

Have a look at www.server4you.com I am with them and so far very happy

$199 setup fee (or an additional $10-20 per month)? No thanks. :p
Control Panel - No thanks (pay for something I'd never use).

I settled on Server Complete and so far have been very happy with them. Only problem I ran into (and they said they had seen it before) was using software RAID on Debian. Just went with a hardware solution instead. Only real difference from what I understood was that the monitoring was more difficult using the servers built in RAID setup.

$199 setup fee (or an additional $10-20 per month)? No thanks. :p
Control Panel - No thanks (pay for something I'd never use).

I settled on Server Complete and so far have been very happy with them. Only problem I ran into (and they said they had seen it before) was using software RAID on Debian. Just went with a hardware solution instead. Only real difference from what I understood was that the monitoring was more difficult using the servers built in RAID setup.

Honestly, I wish servercomplete was in the EU, or had an equal EU provider. If they had, id of picked up 5 of those special offer nehelem servers, even if they were just to wait for a while until I had an actual use for them all :(

Honestly, I wish servercomplete was in the EU, or had an equal EU provider. If they had, id of picked up 5 of those special offer nehelem servers, even if they were just to wait for a while until I had an actual use for them all :(

I've got one just sitting aside unused right now (basic setup but with 2 1TB SATA III's set up in RAID). Couldn't pass up the price. I'm sure I'll figure out something to do with it (heck, the Dr. Office I do work for is wanting to set up a web site - maybe I'll host it there and recoup my costs - as well as being able to run a site or two for myself from it :rolleyes:).
I can't complain about the ping times. As you can see, I'm getting about the same to cnet.com - so the holdup is my ISP. :(

Tracys-Mac-mini:website tracy$ ping twowheeldemon.com
PING twowheeldemon.com (199.48.164.159): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 199.48.164.159: icmp_seq=0 ttl=53 time=79.824 ms
64 bytes from 199.48.164.159: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=70.418 ms
64 bytes from 199.48.164.159: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=78.118 ms

Tracys-Mac-mini:website tracy$ ping cnet.com
PING cnet.com (64.30.224.118): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 64.30.224.118: icmp_seq=0 ttl=241 time=79.698 ms
64 bytes from 64.30.224.118: icmp_seq=1 ttl=241 time=77.045 ms
64 bytes from 64.30.224.118: icmp_seq=2 ttl=241 time=74.589 ms

And when pinged from my VPS at RamNode
$ ping twowheeldemon.com
PING twowheeldemon.com (199.48.164.159) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from twowheeldemon.com (199.48.164.159): icmp_req=1 ttl=58 time=6.40 ms
64 bytes from twowheeldemon.com (199.48.164.159): icmp_req=2 ttl=58 time=6.38 ms
64 bytes from twowheeldemon.com (199.48.164.159): icmp_req=3 ttl=58 time=6.40 ms
64 bytes from twowheeldemon.com (199.48.164.159): icmp_req=4 ttl=58 time=6.37 ms

Code:
#!/bin/sh

DIR_BACKUP=/db_backup
DB_NAME=database_name
DB_USER=db_username
DB_PASS=db_passwd
DOW=`date "+%a"`
mydumper \
  --database=$DB_NAME \
  --host=$DB_HOST \
  --user=$DB_USER \
  --password=$DB_PASS \
  --outputdir=$DB_DUMP \
  --rows=500000 \
  --compress \
  --build-empty-files \
  --threads=2 \
  --compress-protocol

TIP: might want to add some error checking into actual mydumper backup line and then move and configure the find/delete command to only execute if mydumper successfully completed. Otherwise you could end up deleting backups before hand even if mydumper backup fails to complete and end up with no valid backups in place.

TIP: might want to add some error checking into actual mydumper backup line and then move and configure the find/delete command to only execute if mydumper successfully completed. Otherwise you could end up deleting backups before hand even if mydumper backup fails to complete and end up with no valid backups in place.

yep... it's something that I've been meaning to do - but havent' had time since I'm wiping a several computers and re-installing the OS's so that they can give them to their employees... not to mention playing with the server they gave me. ;)
That one was just a quick "down and dirty" one.

Down to $55 this month, with 1TB drive, and 100mbit unmetered. You can probably find something in a similar price range in the UK. Those are old processors, and they aren't very expensive. I've seen dual 5420 servers as low as $40/mo. The market is flooded with them, as most datacenters are getting rid of them cheap because they are old and use tons more power (about 4x's more), compared to the newer processors .

Another option is a e3-1230 or similar. Those are ridiculously cheap these days, and will run circles around the 5520's and such. I have seen plenty of 1270's down in the same price range (mid-$60's).

Those are old processors, and they aren't very expensive. I've seen dual 5420 servers as low as $40/mo. The market is flooded with them, as most datacenters are getting rid of them cheap because they are old and use tons more power (about 4x's more), compared to the newer processors .

That's important to them... but not to me since I don't pay the power bill!:D

Another option is a e3-1230 or similar. Those are ridiculously cheap these days, and will run circles around the 5520's and such. I have seen plenty of 1270's down in the same price range (mid-$60's).
All that I've found have been in the low $100 range. Granted, I haven't looked THAT hard, but I have spent some time at WHT going through their site. If I find somewhere with a comparable price package (and not raise the price after a time period), then I will grab one of those also. ;)

That's important to them... but not to me since I don't pay the power bill!:D

LOL!!! I'm just saying that's why they're so cheap. A lot of the datacenters are looking to get rid of them, so you should see even better prices in the future.

I can try to find a couple for you. If you look on WHT there is a dual 5420 for $40...$30 with a $99 buydown. LOL!! Pretty damn hard to beat that. There's another with dual 5420's, 16 gigs of RAM, 4x73GB SAS drives, 100mb unmetered for $65.

LOL!!! I'm just saying that's why they're so cheap. A lot of the datacenters are looking to get rid of them, so you should see even better prices in the future.

I can try to find a couple for you. If you look on WHT there is a dual 5420 for $40...$30 with a $99 buydown. LOL!! Pretty damn hard to beat that. There's another with dual 5420's, 16 gigs of RAM, 4x73GB SAS drives, 100mb unmetered for $65.

Yeah.. I found a 1270 at $60... but you have to get 10! That's 8 more than what I would ever need since I don't plan on doing any "business" related stuff with them (hell, I can get by with 1 since I only run 2 forums and a couple of personal blogs off it).
The nice thing about what I have now (and confirmed with them) is that the price I pay is not an introductory offer. It will remain the same, so for less than I can get one standard E3-1270 for I am getting 2 of my current configuration. Heck, the more I think about it the more I lean towards getting a third one. The only bad thing is they are not set up for private networking internally, so all connections between the servers go towards your data cap. They are thinking about setting it up so that it doesn't, and once they do that I'll put Percona on one of 'em and use it strictly as the SQL server for the others.

Last edited:
SC is now sold out of the 5520's ;)

Sh*t... and I was just about to hit them and order another... oh well, let's see what else they might come up with... Proves the point - you snooze you lose. :(
Well, at least I got my two. ;)

Code:
#!/bin/sh

DIR_BACKUP=/db_backup
DB_NAME=database_name
DB_USER=db_username
DB_PASS=db_passwd
DOW=`date "+%a"`
mydumper \
  --database=$DB_NAME \
  --host=$DB_HOST \
  --user=$DB_USER \
  --password=$DB_PASS \
  --outputdir=$DB_DUMP \
  --rows=500000 \
  --compress \
  --build-empty-files \
  --threads=2 \
  --compress-protocol

Code:
find /db_backup* -mtime +7 -delete
And a side note, the password is visible for everyone in top or ps -def, I hope you patched this issue. :giggle:

Code:
find /db_backup* -mtime +7 -delete
And a side note, the password is visible for everyone in top or ps -def, I hope you patched this issue. :giggle:

Considering that I'm the only one with access to the server, shouldn't be a big deal. If they already got in far enough to be able to run top or ps, then I got other problems. :)
Root has no SSH login ability, my DB password is different than my account password (and only has access to THAT database) and my account password is 15+ alpha/symbol/numeric characters long, and I use keys for login via SSH.

Last edited:
I have an user specifically created for mydumper backups, with restricted permissions.
Still, top and ps can be ran by a regular user. Better be safe than sorry, just patch the binary. :)

I have an user specifically created for mydumper backups, with restricted permissions.
Still, top and ps can be ran by a regular user. Better be safe than sorry, just patch the binary. :)

One day I will probably get around to it - but it means manually updating everything <prefer to just update direct from Debian's repositories>... but my point is... the only "regular" user on the system would be me (unless someone has hacked in - then I already have bigger problems). My dedicated is just that... dedicated to me - nobody else has acces to it. If there was more than me logging onto the system I would agree (and still do in theory but in practicality it's not high on my list since if they made it that far then I am usually already toast).

Aha, you are the only one who runs the show. Then is fine. :)

Yeah.. I like to keep only my hands as the only ones in the cookie jar. :p
I created a new user and granted Select and Reload priv's to it (and that is all it has). Works fine with the process so no worry there. If someone got in that far, they could get the DB username/passwords out of the config.php.

Top Bottom