Opinions wanted

ouch expensive for such hardware

this way better http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1270290

Haven't used Versaweb myself but they own their own datacenters Fiberhub http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1254292 and around 9 of my server's i rent are with a web host who colocates at Fiberhub and they've been great :)

Intel Dual Xeon E5520 Enterprise Dedicated Server
----------------------------------------
Dual Intel Xeon E5520 / L5520 CPU's
72GB DDR3 RAM Memory
2 x 1TB SATA Hard Disks
4 IP Addresses / Private VLAN
IPMI / IP KVM Included
100Mbps Route-Optimized Bandwidth
Las Vegas Datacenter Location

1 Month - $99
12 Months - $999 - That's only $83/mo!

After the headache I've had importing my DB... I don't need any more help getting a worse one. (n)
Never will trust phpmyadmin again for a large DB... mysqldump all the way.

Yes mysqldump/mysql backup and restore safer but not the fastest option. I use mydumper/myloader for multi threaded backup and restores for up to 10x times faster backup/restores apparently http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mydumper+&+myloader+faster+innodb+mysql+multi-threaded+backups+restores. I get around 4-8x times faster on 12 to 24 cpu thread based servers.

My new server is:

E3-1240v2
24GB DDR3
2x2TB SATAIII
Hardware RAID 1
Unmetered@1Gbps
In Germany

xF runs like a ... well without bringing vulgarity into the community I'll say it runs well.

My new server is:

E3-1240v2
24GB DDR3
2x2TB SATAIII
Hardware RAID 1
Unmetered@1Gbps
In Germany

xF runs like a ... well without bringing vulgarity into the community I'll say it runs well.

What host?

Should read the 15 page thread on what OVH did to us.. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-host-update.50925/ A large enough customer that they called our servers a "server pool" in the termination letter.

Hate to say, but that's what happens when you try running your business off a dirt cheap budget provider. I'm guessing it was a fairly expensive lesson in the long-run, or it certainly will be.

For me, that's the fun of it! (drats, no self flagellation smileys available). I've been told I have a "weird" sense of fun.:ROFLMAO:

Ha ha!! :D And yes, hardware RAID 1 would definitely be overkill. Especially on a dual-processor box, the CPU usage for software RAID is going to be unnoticeable.

off a dirt cheap budget provider.

I wouldn't call them dirt cheap, maybe for the low end stuff, but we were using the MG4 Intel E5 - 1650's with SATA3 and SSD's after the hardware raid card, the $20.00 fee they charge per server to use more then 3 IP's, and cPanel we were at about $300.00 per box plus purchased elsewhere, CloudLinux and 8-CPU Litespeed License per server.

It is VERY well known in the industry how horrid their network, hardware, and customer service are. It shouldn't come as any surprise to you. Regardless of how much you were paying for your server (If you were seriously paying $300 for those specs through OVH, you were getting screwed...big time.), it's still the same crappy budget network, the same budget techs., etc.

Regardless of how much you were paying for your server (If you were seriously paying $300 for those specs through OVH, you were getting screwed...big time.)

Like to know how that's getting screwed.. I mean E5 1600 series w/16 core CPU, 2x 2TB SATA3 (same speed as SAS at 15k rpm), 2x 128 Intel SSDs, double hardware raid control, one for SATA other for SSD... 64GB RAM, GigE port unmetered..

Yet for 219.00 your selling L5420's (already marked end of life http://ark.intel.com/products/33929/ because the 5400 series sucked), 16GB RAM, single 500GB SATA1, and 10TB on a 100mb port.. at WebNX at that.. Looks like I'm getting a lot more for 81.00 extra.. oh right I'm getting screwed over big time..

Our dedicated pages are WAY outdated, and aren't being updated until our new design comes out. ;)

How are you getting screwed? Before we started doing a lot more colo again recently, we were paying about $329 (we actually paid buydowns on the hardware, so that wasn't what we paid...but that WAS the monthly quote) for E5-1650's with 4x Samsung 830/840 PRO 256GB SSDs, 3TB SATA3 drive, hardware RAID, GigE port (not unmetered crap...real bandwidth with guaranteed 1gbit speed 100% of the time), /26 IPv4 block, private GigE network between the servers, and all from a real datacenter with a quality network, that actually gives a damn about their clients, and responds to tickets in under 10 mins.

There was not much difference in price on any of the big well-known networks. Trust me, we looked around. About $30 more so your clients actually have decent service and not days of downtime? It's well-worth it in the long run, trust me. ;)

As sitting it's going to run about $230 a month.
For that price you can get 3 OVH servers that you can run on failover. Yes, OVH do NOT have great customer support (no problems at all if you are a decent sysadmin) but what are the chances to have all 3 machines fail at same time? I'm certainly switching to them soon, I know people running their sites on OVH servers for years without issues.

Why the drama over a hosting thread? If you want a wider opinion go to WHT, if you're happy with the performance/price of your server then keep it.

Top Bottom