Open PDF

Open PDF [Paid] 1.3

No permission to buy ($35.00)

AndyB

AndyB submitted a new resource:

Open PDF - Opens PDF attachments in the browser.

Premium upgrade:

This XF2 add-on along with the entire collection can be purchased for $25.00 USD. Your Premium upgrade will allow you to download as many XF2 add-ons as you like for one year. Please see the entire collection located in the Resources area at this URL:

https://www.xf2addons.com/

Note: all my XF1 add-ons are still 100% free and are supported by donations.

Description:

Opens PDF attachments in the browser.

By default XenForo requires PDF...

Read more about this resource...

Great add-on makes it easy for users to have pdf files for quick read and quick response.

Last edited:
You need to change the default actions in your browser options.

For Firefox, click the hamburger menu, select options, scroll down to Applications, and click on mp3. I have mine set to "Always ask" - yours is probably set to Save as...

I'm not sure where the equivalent setting is in Chrome; I rarely use it and then only for checking sites.

However, With @AndyB's addon, the PDF now opens in a new tab. In Settings >> Advanced >> Downloads, I have "Ask where to save each file before downloading" set to ON. You might try that.

I believe the Q&A says that PDF files only open in Firefox and Safari, but NOT in Chrome, with this add-on.

@AndyB Does this addon make all PDF files open in the browser, or could it be overridden in some way in a template edit to allow an extra button to be manually placed to download if required? Basically, does your addon overwrite the function altogether, or can it be excluded when required.
I know there is a download link in the open PDF, but just curious if i could make this work with manual edits.
Example:

pdfdownloads.webp

Does this works for any one with Chrome? I have tryed it and it doesnt work with Chrome - settings double checked.
So is there also a solution for Chrome to?

Does this works for any one with Chrome? I have tryed it and it doesnt work with Chrome - settings double checked.
So is there also a solution for Chrome to?
According to the Q&A in the addon description, for Chrome do this:

Q: The add-on opens the PDF in Firefox and Safari, but not in Chrome.
A: After clicking the PDF attachment, the task bar at the bottom of the browser will show a tab, click the arrow and select Always Open In System Viewer.

As I wrote - settings double checked. In Chrome settings its marked "PDF open in new Chrome window" so it works on other sites like it should but not with or without the addon under xenforo.
1663078720578.png
At this point the Q&A doesnt help to fix it. ;-)

After clicking on the attached pdf, it opens the "save as/under" dialog window...

Couple of questions for @AndyB or users who have installed this.
1. Does this work ok with xfrm? Assume yes if similar approach to xf1 add on.
2. With IOS and MACOS Safari (and other browsers) when a user tries to subsequently download a pdf which has been shown in browser what is the filename ? Original filename or simply 'download.pdf' or 'filename.pdf'?

Top Bottom