• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Open Beta or similar?

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#1
Well, after having a look around and checking out some of those awesome vids I am eagerly anticipating trying this forum software for myself.

Now while I appreciate the Dev's may want to keep things small to start with, do we know of any plans for an open beta? I would love to have a tinker around and see how this compares to vb4 in the backend, and with customising, but I wouldn't realy want to drop $100 for something I am not entirely sure on yet, mainly as I can't afford $100 just to try something at the moment as much as I would like to :(

The other hand, would anyone setting up a beta on their server who knows they are 100% going to go with this software be willing to set up a test forum and set up an admin account that I could tinker around and play in at my leasure for a few days when the beta does get released?

Cheers

//Slav
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#2
No open beta from the XF owners.

Someone may be prepared to set up a test site as you suggest but I suspect you're not the only one who would want access to it and hence it would be swamped.
 

OperaManiac

Well-known member
#3
i imagine once it is out, some folks here might set up demo installations for folks to play around with. it should not be a very hard thing to do and a couple of folks are buying multiple licenses that might not get used immediately.
 

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#4
No open beta from the XF owners.

Someone may be prepared to set up a test site as you suggest but I suspect you're not the only one who would want access to it and hence it would be swamped.
I know what you mean, however possibly setting up a small script might make things easier? And possibly something to run here on the XF site where you can trial the software for 24 hours. It wouldn't be too difficult, just a default db and default set of files coppied to a new db and subfolder. But I imagine there are others like me who would like to try before buying so to speak.
 

OperaManiac

Well-known member
#5
i would want to try it out before purchasing it. but looking at my disgust for vb4. i would buy it during the sale period.

switching from vb to xf is going to be a very crucial decision for me. my forum is practically my livelihood. vb+vbseo has been pretty good to me.

just hate what i got after paying for vb4!
 

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#6
i would want to try it out before purchasing it. but looking at my disgust for vb4. i would buy it during the sale period.

switching from vb to xf is going to be a very crucial decision for me. my forum is practically my livelihood. vb+vbseo has been pretty good to me.

just hate what i got after paying for vb4!
Same here, my current vb4 forum is my livelihood, and if I am going to move to another system I need to know it was worth it. Not to mention the loss of a lot of custom mods commisioned specifically for my forum.
 

steven s

Well-known member
#7
i would want to try it out before purchasing it. but looking at my disgust for vb4. i would buy it during the sale period.

switching from vb to xf is going to be a very crucial decision for me. my forum is practically my livelihood. vb+vbseo has been pretty good to me.

just hate what i got after paying for vb4!
I don't know about you, but I bought vB4 site [sic] unseen.
At least here you are seeing an example of what is being offered.

I plan to only update my 3.8 forum and start a new one.

I'll be buying two licenses. I have so much more faith here than I did with IB.
 

OperaManiac

Well-known member
#8
argh. searching this forum is always a pain.

i think the developers had stated that you can have multiple test installations of the same license as long as they are for 'testing' and not publicly accessible!

i need to find that post here to confirm my belief.

if you do not find any other alternative, contact me after the release of beta. and i might be able to help you out.

---

hah. yeah. i had no idea about the development of vb4. i just visited the site for the mods and latest updates.

one fine day, i get to hear about vb4 launch. i was forced to make a choice. order the cms edition for cheap. or order the forum edition for slightly lower price. if i do not decide now, i would be forced to pay a bounty for either of them at a later stage.

i thought about it for 2-3 days. went for the cms package. was majorly disappointed!
 

Dean

Well-known member
#9
Same here, my current vb4 forum is my livelihood, and if I am going to move to another system I need to know it was worth it. Not to mention the loss of a lot of custom mods commisioned specifically for my forum.
If you will need those custom mods before you can switch, then perhaps at some point in the future they may have the ability to test drive the admin side of things before you spend the money for a license.

As far as I can tell they are extremely busy finishing up the software. Until it is done it makes no sense to me to display the backend publicly because it is still changing.

If they did have the ability to publicly display the backend, then don't you think they may be inundated with questions? And not have time to finish writing the code?
 

Onimua

Well-known member
#10
Well, after having a look around and checking out some of those awesome vids I am eagerly anticipating trying this forum software for myself.

Now while I appreciate the Dev's may want to keep things small to start with, do we know of any plans for an open beta? I would love to have a tinker around and see how this compares to vb4 in the backend, and with customising, but I wouldn't realy want to drop $100 for something I am not entirely sure on yet, mainly as I can't afford $100 just to try something at the moment as much as I would like to :(

The other hand, would anyone setting up a beta on their server who knows they are 100% going to go with this software be willing to set up a test forum and set up an admin account that I could tinker around and play in at my leasure for a few days when the beta does get released?

Cheers

//Slav
Essentially that is the open beta. You buy a license, download the beta and start testing/doing whatever. Allowing free downloads as a demo doesn't seem to be in the plans.

argh. searching this forum is always a pain.

i think the developers had stated that you can have multiple test installations of the same license as long as they are for 'testing' and not publicly accessible!

i need to find that post here to confirm my belief.

if you do not find any other alternative, contact me after the release of beta. and i might be able to help you out.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/woot-pricing-and-release-info-d.3877/page-2#post-59610

Kier mentions it half-way through.
 
#12
For those people who can not afford to pay for a license just to test, I am sure it won't take long before http://www.forum-software.org purchases a license and allows users to test the software for themselves. They allow you to play with the front and back end of pretty much all of the software out there.