1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 One word/phrase causes 404 error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by MJD, Feb 28, 2014.

1. MJD

MJD Member

I've been receiving emails from users, almost daily, about 404 errors that are occurring when trying to post a new thread.

Screenshot attached.

I went in and copied the thread text which the user claimed to cause the error and received the same result.

After slicing and removing text from the thread, I determined that the following statement was causing the error.

-- START

System (

-- END

If I try to post a new thread which this simple word combo "System (" it trips a 404 error.

Seeing that the error isn't produced here when I post this thread, I have to assume this is a configuration issue? Perhaps mod_security or something? Any way to see what other phrases are kicking off this error? Assuming that I am hearing about this daily, I have to assume there are multiple causes.

I'd appreciate and be thankful for any leads!
  2. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

It's a 403 error ;)

It sounds like a mod_security restriction to me. You should contact your host :)

3. MJD

MJD Member

Darn typo! Thanks, I'll see if I can get some answers over there.
  4. MJD

MJD Member

Just wanted to update this: It was indeed mod_security that was causing the 403.