XF 2.1 One-click upgrades and add-on install/upgrade from ZIP files

And here we are, already at the penultimate entry in our "Have you seen...?" series for XF 2.1. If you haven't seen the previous entries about what's coming in XF 2.1, check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend giving that "Watch forum" link a... well... click, I guess... and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

You know all of the files and folders that are in the normal XF download? They all need to be writable. The specifics of how to do it, whether it is chmod or chown or some other method entirely will be down to you, your host or your server admin to figure out.
I assume that most people will just open their ftp program and tick the boxes. When the user does this, the question is writable by whom?
Owner of course. Group? World?

I assume that most people will just open their ftp program and tick the boxes. When the user does this, the question is writable by whom?
Owner of course. Group? World?
That is the problem though. If the owner is not the same as the user which PHP runs as then owner will not work. It really is a maze which is not simple.

All I have to say is WOW! Thanks XF!

xf_butta_meme.webp

Are there any 'gotchas' with it? Does it overwrite smilies, for example, if you replace the ones in the default style directory?

Only in the same way that "gotcha" exists if you upload all files from the downloaded zip file manually.

If you're replacing existing XF assets, you're doing it wrong, essentially.

Rather than replacing existing XF files, you need to be editing the smilie entries to point to your custom smilies.

Yeah, that's something we realised after we'd replaced the original smilies - and ever since we've been having to delete them from the upgrade package so as not to overwrite. The XF2 upgrade will be an opportunity to move them to their own directory. :)

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but when using the button to upload a zipped add-on, it once happened that xenforo reported missing files from the add-on, so I went to check via ftp and effectively some files were missing, but after checking the contents of the archive, the files were there (basically the upload was incomplete for some reason, or the unzipping didn't fully go through).

It happened only a few times, besides that it worked great the majority of the times I used this feature, and I have to say I really like it.

New one click upgrade worked like a charm.

Did the addons with the procedure, the core the old way.

Will you be warned if it's a large upgrade that you can run it by command line? I have 3M+ posts and I normally upgrade with the cli command.

New one click upgrade worked like a charm.

Did the addons with the procedure, the core the old way.

Will you be warned if it's a large upgrade that you can run it by command line? I have 3M+ posts and I normally upgrade with the cli command.
It's worth noting that the number of upgrades which would actually be impacted by the size of your forum are quite few and far between. For third point releases, we don't necessarily recommend using the CLI.

If the CLI is ever recommended like it sometimes is then we will redirect from the one-click upgrade system to the traditional upgrade system and give you the option of finishing the upgrade via the CLI.

Generally though, I wouldn't worry about it :)

Top Bottom