old vbulletin attachments

electrogypsy

hi, i just had a question that I was wondering if you all could help me with... i converted my board over from vbulletin 4 a little less than a year ago. the weird thing is that my site is still pretty huge file size wise, even though after the conversion i lost the gallery (since xf didn't have an equivalent at the time). i think the gallery files are still on my server, but not linked to anything.

my question is: is there a way to verify that an attachment file is actually linked to somewhere on my message board?

id like to get rid of any unnecessary attachments, since my forums are about 30gb uncompressed (about 3.7gb gzipped) and i have a feeling that there's about 15,000 pictures/attachments sitting around on my server that im not sure where they are and probably aren't attached to any posts. the gallery plugin i was using on vb was pretty popular with my users, so it's no joke that it's about 15,000 images.

my main reasoning for this is so i can move onto a cheaper vps, but my message board will probably be to big for it, so if there's files i can get rid of, id like to find out how!

thanks!

p.s. when i converted to xenforo, the converter i used pulled all the pictures from the vb gallery plugin into a forum section as threads, but i deleted that section and the threads. i assume the attachments would stay on the server though?

When posts and threads are deleted in XenForo, any attachments are also removed via a routine cron task.

There isn't an easy way of checking whether the files on the server are attached to a post.
You can try using the attachment manager in the ACP but it would be a case of manually checking.

p.s. when i converted to xenforo, the converter i used pulled all the pictures from the vb gallery plugin into a forum section as threads, but i deleted that section and the threads. i assume the attachments would stay on the server though?

The attachments would still be there because of this bug:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/deleting-a-forum-doesnt-delete-its-threads.9743/

Currently there is no utility to prune these orphaned threads (along with their attachments). But presumably when that bug is fixed it will come with such a utility.

edit - ninjaaaa

You can try using the attachment manager in the ACP but it would be a case of manually checking.

i went ahead and did this, and yeah, the attachments were there (about 9,000 of them) but not linked to any posts (post check = error on each) so i just used automator on my mac to go through all of the ones before a certain date and delete them. shaved about 8gb off my used disk space :)

thanks for the help!

Top Bottom