Oh bum, conflict of interest ....

Jethro

For those that don't know, quite possibly 99.99% of the membership (percentage increases if we include guests and llama trainers), I'm one of the prelim judges for Australia's Shadows Awards this year. The Shadows are the jewel in the crown for dark genre writers Down Under.

Anywise arriving in the post was an entry in the long fiction section, "Dark Corridors of Time" by Keith Williams. Unfort the newly published novel from Equilibrium Books has quotes from my site on the front cover and first page, see below

smindsmention.webp

Oops!

Have made the coordinator of the Competition aware of a possible conflict of interest and am waiting to see what he thinks I should do. Clearly too late to step down but may have to with hold my call on this one.

The long fiction section is going to one hell of a battle this year judging from the two entries I've read thus far, and there's some very big names in Aussie dark genre circles submitting later in the year.

Awesome on your site being quoted on the book though :D

For no apparent reason we get the odd quote happening for local books, well okay that's our third one :) Since the site isn't about making $s no one has bothered to check if we get increased hits or not through it, twitter is probably a better strategy anyhoos.

/me calls for your head.

oh, and, I doubt it's a conflict of interest, the head of the judge people type thing wont even have known it's your site, right?

/me calls for your head.

oh, and, I doubt it's a conflict of interest, the head of the judge people type thing wont even have known it's your site, right?

Book gets selected in short list -> immediate publication in a number of journals/newspapers/websites down under of finalists -> my site features on cover of book -> I get a whole bunch of free publicity for my site, ergo it's in my interest for the book to be short listed, ergo it's a conflict of interest as the sites featuring the book cover would be my direct market.

The Coordinator has got back to me saying he'll take a note of the conflict in case there's any dispute over finalists.

Top Bottom