XF 2.1 Odd unfurl behavior. Working for some users, not for others.

ExpatIndo

One of the moderators used to be able to get his URLs to unfurl, specifically this one:

He posted it before, it worked. Today he posted it again in response to a thread, and it did not unfurl, despite being on its own line.

Following this, I jumped into a test node only accessible to administrators and moderators to further test this: it worked for me but not for him.

Then I jumped into the public thread where he first noticed it didn't work to test it: didn't work for me either.

I then opened an incognito window, logged in, tried again in that thread: worked.

Back to normal mode, not working.

Then I tried again using BBCode: [URL unfurl="true"]https://www.expatindo.org/spousal-kitas-kitap/[/URL] which worked.

Then I tried again by simply pasting the URL, it worked. Now I seem to be able to get URLs to unfurl everywhere.

I tried again by logging with a test account: works.

In the meantime, for him, neither pasting the URL directly or using unfurl BBCode work.

Additional information:
  • We are on shared hosting
  • We hosted jquery core locally, I changed to the Google AJAX API CDN. Same thing.
Any idea? And also, why are URLs getting unfurled even on forums not accessible to guests?

I have experienced that unfurl stopped working by posting from one of my PCs after upgrading Windows 10 Home to version 1809. But from another PC, unfurl works just fine after upgrading to the same mentioned version of Windows.

For the first-mentioned PC, the problem seems to be that URL is automatically converted into a link when it is pasted into the post, (already before posting the post).

Workarounds:
Unlink the URL before posting

Or

Switch to BB code before pasting URL (just paste the URL without any code before or after)

I have experienced that unfurl stopped working by posting from one of my PCs after upgrading Windows 10 Home to version 1809. But from another PC, unfurl works just fine after upgrading to the same mentioned version of Windows.

For the first-mentioned PC, the problem seems to be that URL is automatically converted into a link when it is pasted into the post, (already before posting the post).

Workarounds:
Unlink the URL before posting

Or

Switch to BB code before pasting URL (just paste the URL without any code before or after)

Thank you, it did work for him.

But I am still confused as to how this could be happening.

Even for me, it worked fine, then stopped working for a bit, and worked again.

Top Bottom