1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Number of following members

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by dieg0, Jan 8, 2014.

1. dieg0

dieg0 Active Member

One of my users' profile page says they are following 7 people but when you actually click the link to check who these members are it only shows 6. It is not a big issue but I was just wondering what could be wrong.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have the same issue on my site with multiple members.
    I never did manage to track it down nor resolve it.
  3. xf_phantom

xf_phantom Well-Known Member

The following members are stored in a seperate table but they're also cached in the xf_user_profile table (field following).
    If you delete a user, the following records will be deleted from the xf_user_follow table, but the cached values in xf_user_profile will remain..

AFAIK we had already some suggestions and bug reports for this, but if i remember correct, it wasn't accepted as bug

Maybe it's worth to rethink this and include some process to trigger the deletion of xf_user['following'] and an automatic rebuild (OR use the deferred object to rebuild the caches)

ATM there are only several "special cases" where the rebuild will be triggered
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. Brogan

I don't see xf_user.following in my install.
  5. Brogan

I have incorrect following and follower counts on my install.
    Checking the DB shows the right number of followers but the overlay shows a lower number.

Going through the IDs now to see which ones aren't being pulled.
  6. Brogan

Aha! It's banned users.
    They don't show in the overlay/page, even for those with the permission to view banned profiles.
    xf_phantom likes this.