MG 1.1 number of columns for different screen resolutions?

island

Is there a way to have the number of columns increase depending on screen resolution?

3 columns is great when the screen resolution is medium, but on a high resolution monitor, the thumbnails can pixellate as they are stretched larger than the actual thumbnail size, plus it would be really nice to have additional thumbnails since there is additional screen real estate.

Would like to flow thumbnails to 3 columns (as is) for medium resolution monitors but increase to 4 or 5 at certain resolution thresholds.

You can currently set the default number per row at various break points and you can adjust the break points in the responsive style properties.

It isn't totally dynamic though. This is something we've improved in XFMG 2.0.

You can currently set the default number per row at various break points and you can adjust the break points in the responsive style properties.

It isn't totally dynamic though. This is something we've improved in XFMG 2.0.
Excellent.

Sorry to be dense -- but where exactly would I set the default number per row at a break point -- I'm not seeing this option in Style Properties: Responsive Design or under Applications Media Gallery.

Edit: got it. Style Properties: XFMG - Responsive Design
Don't know why I didn't see that before now!

I guess the complication is that by default, the Max Responsive Width (Wide) is set at 800 and the Non-Responsive Minimum Width is set to 976px.

So if I want to increase the number of columns when someone is viewing the XFMG on a 1600 or 2560 pixel screen, I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I'm not sure I want to adjust the 3 default responsive thresholds for xenforo which are probably set to 800, 610, and 480 for a reason. (And it works well for mobile to have the default thresholds go to 1 and 2 columns for small screens.) So I can achieve 5 coloumns for high-res by setting the default to 5, responsive 800 to 3, responsive 610 to 2 and responsive 480 to 1, but I don't have a way to bridge between 3 and 5 columns. I'm not sure where all the responsive 480 and 610 are in use on the forum side to accommodate cell phones so I don't know if I want to try and steal one of these thresholds to bridge between 1200 and 2560 monitor resolutions for the gallery.

Is there a way to add an additional responsive threshold?

Last edited:
Nope. It is what it is currently. We're pretty invested in the current approach and it isn't totally straight forward to adjust. Totally different in XFMG 2 and makes use of the more modern flex box approach.

I have a feeling there may have been a hacky CSS approach talked about in this forum somewhere which might come up with a search but I can't quite place it right now.

OK, Thanks very much.

It's soooo close, but I can't quite get it to cover my 2560 width monitor and my laptop monitor without being a bit too large and a bit to small on one or the other.

One option would be to re-utilize the existing responsive levels, if I can't add one. Then I'd have to go through and re-enable the sidebar on both the forums and XFMG for Responsive Wide. Not sure what else would have to be adjusted if Responsive Wide is changed to mean "desktop normal" but that could work nicely with XFMG then set to show more columns for default. Also not sure if I should drop Medium or drop Narrow. I'll lose some smartphone quality but maybe I could live with that, sacrificing either phone portrait or phone landscape if I have to.

If anyone reading this has found the CSS approach, please post a link as I haven't been able to find it yet and would love to see it.

Top Bottom